Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of stain to use for internal timber stairs?

rbarthur
Just Starting Out

What type of stain to use for internal timber stairs?

I have a brand new stairs and not sure what of stain to use? Can you please suggest a product and color chart? Similarly for entry door I need stain.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of stain to use for Internal Timber Stairs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rbarthur. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about staining a timber staircase and door.

Are you planning on using a protective coating like Cabot's CFP after you stain? Typically timber floors/stairs are coated with a hard-wearing product to inhibit damage. 

Here's a guide on using Cabot's Oil-Based Stain And Varnish to colour your stairs before overcoating them with Cabot's Oil-Based CFP. If you head to the Colour Guide on the Cabot's website, you can input your project details, and it will provide a colour chart. Interior > Select timber type > Select Cabot's Stain & Varnish Oil Based. It will then show examples of the available colours applied to your timber type. For instance, if your stairs are Pine, the colour chart is below.

It will also be a similar process on your door as a hard coating would also be applied over the stain. You can use the same products.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rbarthur
Just Starting Out

Re: What type of stain to use for internal timber stairs?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I would like know if the Cabot products are certified for anti-slip. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of stain to use for internal timber stairs?

Hi @rbarthur,

You'll find the 0il-based CFP slip resistance certificates on the Cabot's Website. I recommend adding the 5% Intergrain UltraGrip as per the certification testing. Since you're coating stairs, it would be best to add the addition grip agent, as they can be quite slippery, especially if wearing socks. You'll find 5% of a 1 litre can is around 50grams of the grip material.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects