Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which platform ladder should I buy?

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Which platform ladder should I buy?

Good morning, I'm in need of some ladder advice.
I need a ladder for home use and have narrowed it down to 3 options (unless someone changes my mind on here) and they are 

• Bailey 1.2m 4 Step Aluminium Platform Ladder FS13712 ($139)

• Bailey 120kg 4 Step Twin Platform Step Stool ($99)

• Bailey 1.2m 150kg Aluminium Platform Ladder FS13581($400)

I'm hoping someone has experience of all 3 and can advise me. I weigh less than half of $120 kg so weight is not the issue.
Stability and safety are priorities and I need a 3.1-metre reach.
The twin platform step stool looks really practical but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing? 
TIA

Paulene

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which platform ladder should I buy?

It's amazing how this forum influences behaviour.

I was in Bunnings yesterday and remembered this thread - so I went to have a look at the $99 Bailey ladder - and test drove it.

Brad's comment above is correct.

Struck me as a very good buy for the price - and Brenda's photos are a clincher.

Hi Brenda
Thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos, much appreciated.
I think I'll go for the taller ladder so I will still have a rail I can hold onto when working at height.
Kind regards and best wishes for a merry Christmas in your newly painted house.
Paulene

Hi Pauline, glad to help. I am curious however as to why you would need taller ladders. I painted 2.5metre high ceilings with mine no worries. I did not ever stand on the top platform I used that for the paint and my smelling salts. I love my ladders because I can carry them around wherever they are so light. I have visions of you ducking and weaving through your house smashing priceless artefacts.Oh well good luck with your endeavours, all the best b🌺

Hi Noyade,happy to be of assistance and good luck with your tasks. I keep my ladders in the laundry now as they are so light to carry and I always feel safe on them. I do not like the ones that are supposed to be for the kitchen cupboards I just don’t feel safe on them at all.Up the GIRLS! b🌺

Hi Eric, you put your point across much more eloquently than myself. I didn’t know how to explain that when you push your knees into the top step of the ladder it’ feels remarkably  safe. Brenda🌺

Hi again Brenda

You make a good point about the difficulty of manoeuvring the longer ladder through the house, however my house has some high places to reach, 3.1 metres - photos attached so I think I'll have to go for the longer version. Additionally there's a lot of work to be done on the outside of the house to restore it to its former glory. 

Ideally I probably would like both.🙂

Kind regards and thanks,

P

20211216_091521.jpg

20211216_091313.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Paulene

It looks like a wonderful project to be undertaking. I can only imagine what it will look like once you've repainted the area. Are you using a varnish or will you be painting it a different colour? It sounds like you've got several projects lined up. Any updates you can provide while re-painting your house would be truly appreciated. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what the place will look like once it's repainted.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Paulene
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

The walls are mud-brick so no painting but lots of 'mudding up'.
The wood, mostly recycled oregon and baltic pine, will have danish oil or tung oil applied - I need to do more research about that.
Previously I have used Danish oil but I want to investigate if tung oil might have some advantages.
Lots to do and you'll probably see me back on here asking more questions.
Kind regards
Paulene

Hiya Pauline, looks like you have it under control. The height of your ceilings is enough already. I am beginning to think you need a cherry picker(there’s a joke in there somewhere).not just smelling salts.You would have to have a net secured underneath me at all times and a harness for me. Only joking it will be good for doing the gutters especially when they charge like a wounded bull .  Happy Christmas brenda and Charlie 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects