Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

I'm curious to hear some of the worst DIY jobs Workshop members have had to do. Is there anything really tedious or difficult you've tackled in the past that you never, ever want to do again? Perhaps something that now (gasp) you might even consider paying someone to do next time?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

@Brad, have you had a tree removed near that area?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann no tree there or water pipes, even the fire place hasn't been used for 40 odd years.

Most damaging thing I can think of is it gets morning sun.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

We've got a few stubborn cracks too @Brad. I thought it was because of the extended periods of hot/dry weather we've had in recent years, which made the clay soil under the house really dry and causing movement in the foundations. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Kermit @Andy_Mann I suspect it is the drying out under the foundations, not helped by them being made to 1955 standards, the rooms with tiled floors have less movement and cracks.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad, I'm trying to nut out the floor construction of the 1950s home where I was brought up which is not far from you, wooden floors throughout, except of course the bathroom. I'm thinking solid (not floating) concrete bathroom floor, which may add credence to your bathroom not exhibiting cracks.

Also, the foundations back then were wide & shallow, which has since proven to be misguided.

Your plot would be sandy loamish with some clay elements, which is mildly reactive, have provisions been made to assist drainage on that side of your home?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann Our foundation is fairly high especialy by modern standards. Side path is under the top of the foundation and sloping away, maybe not as steep as best practice. Outside wall is straighter than the internal.

I may just need to woek out that it is stable and skim coat will fix one side and the dreaded no more gaps will cover the crack, once I have finished the kitchen!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi brad

Photos do help, plus further information such as

1. Wall material eg, stud (steel or timber) /plaster, brickwork/plaster,etc?

2. is the wall a load bearing wall supporting the roof strut?

3. Foundation & soil type, reactive clay,sand rock etc

4. wind loading category, shear wall,etc,etc

First you need to identify the cause as you can see from the above there are many causes and it can also be a combination of the above and more.More info please

Many thanks for offering to provide your expertise @BIM_Engineer. I'm sure @Brad will appreciate it after he offers some more details. 

Let me also again extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Got a feeling I found the problem.

Gutter

Drips miss the chanel.

Moss against the foundation.

Not the best piece of foundation work around the house.

Slope of the block would make it a high point.

Once you get past the topsoil you hit clay and the water table is high.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Great news @Brad, that should be an easy fix by either extending the down-pipe, or adding a deflecter, or even easier, siliconing the gap between the concrete path & the foundation.

Fingers crossed you have it beat.

By the way, the gas mains in our street is being upgraded, & the guys dug a hole 50cm deep near our foundation for the new pipework, which exposed a few interesting facts.

The soil had only traces of clay, & though moist, was still friable, in that it didn't form a dense clump when compressed, like heavy clay soils do.

The other thing of note, is that our foundations were virtually laid on the ground surface (not dug in), & I suspect that your visually tall foundations, may be the same.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects