Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

I'm curious to hear some of the worst DIY jobs Workshop members have had to do. Is there anything really tedious or difficult you've tackled in the past that you never, ever want to do again? Perhaps something that now (gasp) you might even consider paying someone to do next time?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

Hi Brad
Poor/Inadequate storm water disposal-> high water tables-> differential movement, etc,etc on reactive clays soils is a major problem you will need to deal with it accordingly
1.Contact your council technical engineering dept. find out if you are connected to the councils Storm water systems
2.Then you will need to go around your house to determine what storm water provisions you actually have in place
3.options are then connect to Council SW systems in which case you will need to provide most councils with a design or/& tank retention . BTW you may also need to put in an agricultural drain system ...my Engineering details are here
https://plus.google.com/u/1/communities/115195196112205285216

4. Do you have a perimeter concrete skirt around the rest of the house  and what condition is the slab in ..any cracking?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@BIM_Engineer, @Brad & I live within an arm's throw of each other, it appears that he is relying only on his concrete perimeter pavement for roof collected water run off.

On re-evaluation of what I posted earlier, I suggest that @Brad install gravbity gradient run-off pipework to the council kerbing stormwater system. No paperwork is required here, & he'd certainly do a better job than our professionally fitted drains were (run uphill to kerb level, duh).

Your suggestion of an agricultural drain system is also valid, it was actually an engineering suggestion that we dig a trench around our house, & fill it with a gradient of infill, ranging from gravel at the base, to well draining sand at ground level. I foolishly didn't do it, but wish I had. :embarassed:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Chris,
1 Yes when paving was installed. Not sure they told Council when they did it.
2 Three to discharge pit, one to RWT that overflows to discharge pit and the problem child that drains to a garden bed.
Pit will be a problem if next door ends up a hammerhead or long rebuild.
3 may need to repeat the sws draining into the side street for the problem child.
4 3/4 concrete and 1/4 pavers will have to check the carport side and front for condition.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Good luck @Brad. Hope you can solve the problem.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects