Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would you hang wallpaper in your house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you hang wallpaper in your house?

1408_HangWallpaper_15.jpgHome decorating trends are always changing, and wallpaper is one item that regular comes in and out of fashion.

But there are some people who recoil at the idea of hanging wallpaper. Common concerns include that it can quickly become dated, can be difficult to hang, and can be even harder to remove. 

I can identify with the latter point after spending a lot of time trying to remove wallpaper and glue residue when we first moved into our 50s house. However, I have been very impressed at how easy modern wallpaper glue is to use and remove. 

Would you consider hanging wallpaper in your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Would you hang wallpaper in your house?

I would consider it in the right room, and probably limit it to a feature wall.

241e9642-8db7-4d9e-abd0-a50b9a3bac66.jpgc2a30a61-2d42-4d12-b2b5-33b7a2830efd.jpgdcebc5d6-b75e-4de0-bf0d-3e6fc5115667.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The sooner it is gone from my house the happier I will be.

Another is the textured feature wall, I had one in a rental office and while it was painted in a contrasting colour it looked ok. once someone painted it white when they left the next tenant wanted it gone.

Also had an office with western red cedar panels and exposed red bricks with bits of offcuts stuck mostly around the windows, it won an award in the mid 70's for the clever use of wood. Once the bits of wood were gone it still looked dated. Another lesson is to avoid old weatherboard cladding, I sold it before I had to fix that problem!

Kellie
Making a Splash

I've used a steamer to remove old wallpaper before. It was not fun. Water everywhere and lots of minor burns to the hands and arms! 

Marg19
Growing in Experience

I removed old, garish wallpaper and never thought I would wallpaper. But then I removed 2 doors off a linen cupboard which was facing my entrance. I removed all the shelving, and was going to paint the back wall, but went with a grey/white/silver stripe wallpaper (bunnings) . I layed it vertical to make the area look bigger. The hardest part was getting the first strip down, (1hour) then after that it was very easy. I wasn't sure how much paste to use, so was trial and error. I'm sure if I had hung it vertically it would not have been so difficult. I made sure I measured the space and worked out the best way to tackle this job. I'm really happy with the result, and would definitely wallpaper again .
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing @Marg19.

Hope the video below is helpful for anyone considering hanging wallpaper in future.

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Here's the vid for removing wallpaper....

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Well done @Marg19. I would love to see a photo of it. 

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Thanks.  Will try and send a photo, but not tech savvy.image.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Most Workshop community members would not hang wallpaper in their houses according to our latest poll. 

The poll found just 38 percent of respondents said they would be happy to hang wallpaper.

Thanks to all those community members who voted in the poll. Feel free to continue the discussion by replying below.

Jason

WallpaperPoll.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects