Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to engrave lines in plywood

bunlovers
Getting Established

how to engrave lines in plywood

Hi guys! So I decided to DIY a shiplap look wall using plywood 

but im needing some help as to how to engrave straight lines but about 1cm wide each 

i tried with a box cutter but blade isent wide enough can anyone recommend something that would do the trick!? Thankyou! 

9906DE56-32AB-429C-88AB-D8BC816F0E50.jpeg

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

Re: how to engrave lines in plywood

not 100% sure, but would a router be the correct tool for this?
alternatively, a table saw (or circular saw) set at angle could be used, to cut each section

Hi @bunlovers,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @HandyAndy

If you were to use a knife you'd need to cut either side of the groove you wanted and then use a chisel to remove the timber in between. The issue you'll run into is ply is laminated together with glue and each layer will have the grain in a different orientation. 

A router, table saw or circular saw could potentially do the job, my only concern would be with the amount of tear out of the surface timber that will happen.

Let me mention a few of our amazing members who are keen woodworkers @woodenwookie, @r23on and @Brad to see if they might like to join the discussion.

Another option you might like to consider is that we have an entire range of shiplap boards and panels to create that look in-store.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

You can create the same affect by using pine flooring with the tongue and grove locking it all together or you could use Tas Oak. If you run a plan over the edge and giving it a nice chamfer between joints

Cheers

Eg Panel.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

45 degree router bit would be the easiest way, table saw with the blade set at 45 with a single pass will give a maximum groove width that matches the thickness of the blade and if you want wider it will take 2 passes with you rotating the board 180 degrees raising the degree of difficulty. Circular saw also can be used.

A hinge and mortise plane with a spear point is a option but not a cheap one.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects