Workshop
Ask a question

My first mosaic project

maryg
Building a Reputation

My first mosaic project

2A1C6124-2717-4436-8996-5DE6C6FE7B89.jpeg

so this is to be my first ever attempt at mosaic I hope my project is better than my drawing lol Thank you soo much Mitchell for your advice :smile: I’m going to cut out the design on ply attach this to another sheet of ply then use cut glass and these beautiful shells I’ve been collecting daily on Ohope beach :smile: The colours I want to get are Turquoise/pink/light purple/light blue/ greens/blues/reds/yellow and orange? I adore colours. Any advice is great fully appreciated please? I’ve never cut glass I’m a complete newbie but we all start at the beginning :wink: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: my first mosaic project

Hi @maryg.

It's fantastic to see you jump straight in with such enthusiasm! We can't wait to see what you'll be able to achieve with your project, no doubt plenty of other community members will take inspiration from it also.

The only advice I can give is to really make it yours! The beauty of mosaicing is that you can create what you want, with some of the most impacting designs being extremely colourful.

Remember if you need any assistance or get stuck, there are many fantastic and creative members just waiting to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @maryg.

How are you going with your mosaicing? We would love to see any progress if you have started on your project.

Mitchell

maryg
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell Have not started my first mosaic yet I’ve been stocking supplies buying tools and even bought a shed to set up in so nearly ready :wink: I have joined a few absolutely mind blowing pages where incredibly talented people, like yourself, share their art and craft and wow amazing clever people out there. Anyway I have a project to start once shed is ready and will keep you posted :smile: Big hi hello and hugs from me to everyone Yah level 2 is awesome!! Xx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear everything is going splendidly @maryg

Please let us know if you need a hand organising the shed space or have any other projects you require assistance with.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @maryg 

Before you begin I would suggest to invest in some safety glasses and some rubber dipped gloves. Safety is paramount when cutting or cracking glass. Love the drawing looking forward to your progress.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

maryg
Building a Reputation

Thank you It’s been a journey learning what tools are best and surfaces and adhesives...... I haven’t yet purchased protective gear lol should have thought about that first :wink: 

maryg
Building a Reputation

my first attempt it’s very rushed and became chaotic in my eagerness to fill in the spaces, my mistake I had to scrape it all off as it detracted from my name so I’m going to fill in with white tile pieces now maybe? I’m not sure what colour to grout White or dark? Anyways it’s going to hang outside on my new shed :smile: Have booked in some one on one lessons to learn more about the craft Super excited!

9A8A3B38-FF4E-4D17-BFE4-533917FD1D29.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@maryg,

I'm super excited that you are well on your way to becoming a talented mosaic artist! I think white tiles would be a good choice to surround your name. Black grout might look quite interesting and add some contrast to the white tiles.

Keep those updates coming though!

Mitchell

TerryN
Having an Impact

Morning Mary,I think your effort

looks great so far, and the colours are really vibrant,which is something I'm keen on incorporating into my next mosaic project.In the past I've just used left over tiles and off cuts from the sites I work on, and there isn't usually much variation in the colours,normally just black,white,and a couple of shades in between.I did find some deep yellow ones a while back though and had fun using them in one.I'll post it for your interest Mary.I also look forward to seeing your progress on the mosaics and also the finished shed (studio?)All the best.Terry.070.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects