Workshop
Ask a question

What's the best option for making outdoor bench?

joeharis
Finding My Feet

What's the best option for making outdoor bench?

Hi im newbie here, thank you for letting me join this awesome group.

I'm thinking to build outdoor bench using mgp10 untreated pine and metal pipe legs.

Screenshot_20240424-002847_Pinterest.jpg

Screenshot_20240424-002847_Pinterest.jpg

It's mainly for under alfresco. Will that be OK if I use them with lots of outdoor oil protection instead of h3 cca treated pine. I'm concern about h3 hazard. I don't really want to paint then as I want to keep natural look. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What's the best option for making outdoor bench?

G'day Joe @joeharis 

Welcome - and an interesting design above. Are your thoughts to replicate the above identically - or just looking for something similar?

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joeharis. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a bench.

As you've pointed out, CCA-treated timber is not suitable for creating benches and is only to be used for landscaping purposes. Untreated Pine would be suitable, but you'd need to ensure the oil is maintained regularly. As soon as it dries out (potentially after 12 months), the timber will start to absorb water, and the decay process will set in. The other option is to use a hard coating, such as an exterior varnish. This will seal the timber entirely and stop moisture penetration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @joeharis 

That would be a nice looking bench, I recently built a bench with H3 timber and timber decking pieces on wheels. It lives under my deck roof so its kind of out of the weather.

Outside timber lounge with wheels is the project. If you use any of the merabau timber remember that the colour will leach out a little (it naturally does) and may stain teh surface of what its sitting on. 

I always look at if you want to use a product for not something it was planned for then the lifespan will be different. (yes I use things outside scope all the time) You could oil the untreated timber first before joining them, tho untreated timber will want to go South faster then treated timber. We tend to build and forget for outside spaces (well I do :smile: ) so I would keep that in mind for the type of timber you choose. 

With the metal pipe legs what are you planing on using to stop rust? And just thought of the seat being top heavy with that type of feet. So a little tilt and it will want to topple. Id try and make the feet as wide apart as possible while keeping it looking right.

Dave

Thank you Mitchell. Hard coating sounds like briliant idea!

Thank you Dave and I really love your timber lounge with wheels now I'm thinking to make one for myself. 

I've been making shelves with galvanised metal pipes. I made2 outdoor bench about 4 months ago, sealed the pipes with white knight rust guard from bunnings as suggested by bunnings staff. It does a great job so far the colour hasn't changed and I haven't noticed any rust yet. I used metal flange as they look more stable and I added one extra leg in the middle to add extra stability.

Good morning Noyade,

I'm thinking to make something similar but I love the simplicity of the design above. I have used jarrah and marri top on my previous 2 projects, when I saw that picture on pinterest that gives me an idea of more cost effective option.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects