Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Adding additional laundry storage

Snowy
Growing in Experience

Adding additional laundry storage

image.jpg

First time contributor here in the community.  Love all the inspiration from other contributors.

I’m in the process of installing additional storage in our laundry and am after some advice.  I need to stain / protect the laminated beech panel which we’ve had cut to size and was thinking of using the https://www.bunnings.com.au/interbuild-250ml-clear-hardwax-oil_p0124069.

would this be suitable?  Not looking to change the colour too much of the panel - just want to protect it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry Storage

Hi @Snowy,

I believe Interbuild 250ml Clear Hardwax Oil would be suitable for sealing the timber without changing the appearance dramatically. I will advise being careful with laundry detergent around it though. As this product is not a hard coating any spills can still somewhat penetrate into the surface. I recently installed one of these panels in my laundry and then coated with a wax to protect it. Overnight some Napisan leaked onto the timber surface and managed to penetrate into timber through the wax coating. This turned the timber black and required complete re-sanding of the surface to a significant depth to remove it. I've subsequently coated with Timber Protect 1L Gloss One Coat Clear Oil-Based Varnish.

I did really like the natural timber look but am happy with the varnish coat especially since I know nothing will now penetrate it. The varnish also bought out some of the lovely natural flaws and characteristics of the timber.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Snowy
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for the information Mitchell.  This bench is on the opposite side of the laundry so won't be near laundry detergent.  I've done a coat of hard wax oil over the weekend so will see how it goes.  If I find I need more durable protection on the bench I'll sand it back and give it a coat of varnish.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together @Snowy. Laundry projects have been so popular with the community this year, so I'm sure other members will also be keen to see the end results. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and please let us know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

Snowy
Growing in Experience

5F2BD0C0-152A-40FB-B86D-EA32E5F7B1E3.jpeg

8AF1846A-B44A-4BF9-B75F-5B2A9622B0A4.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Snowy,

That has come up looking fantastic. You must be particularly happy with your new bench and storage space. I think you made a great choice from the available handles as I really like the minimalistic design and black coating. I recently replaced mine and used the same ones.

Congratulations on a job well done and we look forward to seeing what your next project will be.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects