Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are shower rails glued?

aaronw
Getting Established

Are shower rails glued?

Hi All, 

Please excuse my complete noviceness, I am completely new to this. With the pictured shower head, is that something I can install myself, aka do glue the rail, or do I require a plumber?

Thanks,Prep skills.png in advanced A

Krampus knows if you have been naughty or nice!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are shower rails glued?

Hello @aaronw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting a shower rail.

Unfortunately, gluing a shower rail to a tile is not recommended. The glue eventually fails and the rail falls off. I recommend using a QEP 6mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit and a Ramset 6 x 38mm Universal Anchor - 6 Pack to hold the shower rail in place. You'll notice once you take the shower rail apart that the ends have mounting plates. These plates will be your guide on how many holes you need to make in the tile.

Before you start drilling, I suggest marking the position of the shower rail on the wall away from the grout edges. Mark the position of the ends with a pencil and use a level to make sure the shower rail is straight. My number one tip is to take your time and don't rush the drilling of the tile holes.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aaronw
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL very useful information indeed. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @aaronw

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower rail installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

aaronw
Getting Established

Ok so done, 

Unfortunately. I ended up calling the plumber to finalize the installation. For whatever reason, I was unable to get the drill bit to bite the tiles. The cooling system for the bit proved to be the worst part. If the water went into the sticky pad it would detach from the wall. After several more attempts and scratching the surface of the tile, I figured It was probably time to cut my losses and get the plumber to do it. Which he did for just under $150. He also added some silicon around the faucet mount to make it look nice and neat. 

I will upload some before and after images. 

@EricL thanks for your assistance!

aaronw
Getting Established

Ok so here are the before and after pics

before

E8F07808-0FA4-45AF-9A9C-0A93B6407163.jpegafter

1353B30F-155C-4037-96CD-965DB3F939D0.jpeg

the head is not perfect, but is more functional that the previous. The shower is small, so sprays water everywhere if you have the hard middle jets enabled. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looks great, and I'm sure it performs well. Many thanks for sharing the results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects