Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom Shaving Cabinet/Vanity

tahadaghastani
Finding My Feet

Bathroom Shaving Cabinet/Vanity

IMG-20191218-WA0007.jpegHi everyone,

Looking to install a new bathroom mirror shaving cabinet into bathroom. This is an old apartment that was recently bought. I had to remove the old cabinet as it was starting to mould.  I am not to sure if I can just plaster over the exposed brick or will have to render the brick surface. Then when installing the cabinet (we are looking to purchase one that is ready to install) depending on whether the wall is rendered or plastered then can figure out the best installation method. My first DIY and would like any advice on how to approach this.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom Shaving Cabinet/Vanity

Hi @tahadaghastani,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us as you tackle projects in your apartment. Is it a new purchase? 

Other Workshop members will be able to provide much more useful advice if you ask more specific questions. Have you already obtained a new cabinet or are you building one yourself? Is there anything at this stage you're particularly unsure of?

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. We look forward to reading more. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Apartment was purchased 6months ago just really starting to do minor touch ups. We do know we want to purchase a cabinet that is ready to install however haven't picked one out as of yet. I think the thing I am currently unsure of is if it's worth plastering the brick surface as its not flat even surface or we are going to have to render the wall. And if so can we just install the cabinet over the brick wall 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would clean off the liquid nails first as it looks like there are enough spots to have it sit back as it was. If it is a standard size that is available now it is easy to refix using liquid nails ( I would repaint the surround fist while you have a clear go at doing it ) If it suffers from imperial measurements not matching todays metric we can cross that bridge latter if we have to.

Thanks for that Brad. So there is really no need for me to plasterboard the wall or even render it. Just go with liquid nails and install the new cabinet. Is there anything I can do to avoid the cabiet being water damaged/ mould occuring (waterproofing to be done?)

Thanks

Mould is generally poor ventilation. It does look like it is next to a window which can provide ventilation and also be a source for letting in water and the photo does look to have a piece of MDF left behind and that material does tend to soak up water.

Something to look for is if you can see the back of the new cabinet assuming it is melamine coated chipboard and they haven't edged the back if it is moisture resistant glue used it will have a green tinge to the cut edges if not you may have problems. I would seal the hidden unfinished edges with some paint or silicon.

@ProjectPetemay pick up on something I have missed.

Steven
Cultivating a Following

I would clean the void and fill with brick halves & cement if it’s deep to reduce cracking then render with cement prior to plaster fill for smoothing. You may need to use longer mounting bolts and epoxy sleeves for the new cabinet so as to reach the more stable brickwork behind.

Keep in mind... if you plan on using the void to insert new cabinet, first fill all mortar joints prior to insertion as these gaps can be a source of venting in moisture when the bathroom exhaust fan is running and will cause mould behind the cabinet.

As a test... turn on the exhaust fan with all windows and doors shut and with a wet hand feel for drafts in the void.

Masonry anchoring adhesive

anchor stud

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects