Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovation safety and waterproofing help?

Micky86
Getting Established

Bathroom renovation safety and waterproofing help?

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me with a few questions here plz ๐Ÿ™ 

1st time posting on here but been doing handywork for a long time and always found ways to tackle any problems with projects...though I've hit a brick wall with this bathroom reno, Literally!!

so issue & concerns are as follows on this 3.6x 1.2m ensuite bathroom:

1- I bought expensive PPE as silica dust is no joke and I'm very cautious when it comes to my health, I've attached a picture of the 3M full face mask I'm using with the P3 filter cartridge attached...is this sufficient enough as the grinder i used didn't have a dust shroud and the dust was quite intense, couldn't see at times. (Hoping I didn't get exposed to any harmful dust or chemicals gridning walls & floors) ๐Ÿคž

2- I've stripped and grinded floors and walls but there's some areas on the floor that has from what appears to be some leftover waterproofing, do i need to keep hitting that with the diamond disk or any other ways to do it other than this (extremely worried about silica dust exposure, as i still need to vaccume it all up) 

3- how many layers of waterproofing do i need to get done, tiler said 2 below and 2 above screeding as well as priming walls & floors. Thank so much in advance for your help! And obviously all my tools and supplies are from bunnings!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

20210927_195449.jpg

โ€ƒ

20211002_202005.jpg

โ€ƒ

20211008_182450.jpg

โ€ƒ

20211007_141453.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Renovation help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Micky86. It's marvellous that you've joined us and many thanks for your questions about bathroom renovation.

That 3M cartridge achieves a P3 rating when used with your full face mask. Even at P2, it protects against certain particles, dusts, mists and fumes such as sanding, grinding, cutting, drilling metal, masonry, wood and concrete. You are well protected with your current setup. Just remember the cartridge will clog up eventually and need replacement, or you'll start finding it hard to breathe.

It would be ideal to remove all traces of previous waterproofing membranes. 

Applying two coats of waterproofing below and above the screed certainly sounds adequate. Only waterproofing below the screed means it will be constantly wet. Only waterproofing above it can compromise the membrane if the screed cracks due to substrate movement. You are only required by AS 3740-2010 3.2 to waterproof either above or below the screed, but doing both ensures that you don't run into any issues.

Here are some step-by-step guides that you should find useful:

If you haven't already seen it, check out @Adam_W's guide on How to plan a bathroom renovation. It's also worth seeing our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for inspiration.

It sounds like you are really setting yourself up for a successful renovation. Please keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Bathroom renovation safety and waterproofing help?

Hi @Micky86 regarding the left-over waterproofing on the floor... I'm assuming it's some sort of membrane?
If it's still so firmly attached that it's not coming up with anything but grinding and as long as it's not standing up to proud personally... I'd just be applying the membrane over it just making sure you pay attention to that area to avoid any gaps.
Once the bed for the tiles is lain that will make up for any height discrepancies.

Re: Bathroom Renovation help

Thanks so much for the prompt response Mitchell & the reassuring message on safety!! Greatly appreciate it ๐Ÿ™ 

I was just making sure as alot of websites I've seen mentioning some REL value that cant be exceeded & i wouldn't have a clue on what 0.05mg/m3 is measured ๐Ÿคท 

So i got the highest grade which is P3 as that'll be my only line of defense as i didn't supress dust with water & a shroud.

Hopefully i didn't need to use an air supplied mask...

Thanks so much for linking all the videos too! So helpful and informative as usual ๐Ÿ‘ 

Will keep everyone posted on this project then comes the kitchen next but not grinding anymore after this...๐Ÿ˜‘ cheers

Micky86
Getting Established

Re: Bathroom renovation safety and waterproofing help?

Thanks Adam, seems like a painted membrane and doesnt have any thickness to it! I've just taken a couple of days off after all the grinding...got a tad paranoid with the potential silica dust exposure ๐Ÿฅด will keep you guys posted how it all turns out ๐Ÿ™ 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects