Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom subfloor and replacing water-damaged bearers and bottom plate

amature
Finding My Feet

Bathroom subfloor and replacing water-damaged bearers and bottom plate

Hi All, I'm currently renovating the bathroom after removing the floor realized there are no floor joists for the new floor to be attached to and also realize the number of joists adjacent to the bathroom wall is damaged,  any feedbacks regarding how can I rectify the issues will be much appreciated.

IMG_0416.jpgIMG_0417.jpgIMG_0418.jpgIMG_0419.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom subfloor and replacing water-damaged bearers and bottom plate

Hello @amature

Thank you for sharing the photos of your bathroom renovation. Depending on the size of the area, you could match the existing joists on one of the walls and use joist hangers on the other end. However, because some of the joists are water damaged, I recommend engaging the services of a registered builder. They can then make a determination of which timber needs replacing and which ones are still good. This type of structural repair is involved and will require a builder to sign off on it.

Once the floor is repaired, you can continue your renovation plans. What kind of bathroom flooring did you originally have? I'm just curious how it managed to stay up with no support for all this time. Any updates you can provide while remodelling your bathroom would be much appreciated. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your reply, Eric. The old floor was concrete on top of the corrugated iron. I'll post more info as I move forward with repair and remodelling .after  all the flooring is fixed is it a good idea to use a yellow tong on top of all the new joists or is there any other option that I m not aware of.

many thanks,

Gabriel 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amature

Using Yellow Tongue Flooring is ideal for all flooring applications. If you are tiling in the bathroom please remember to provide space for James Hardie 1800 x 1200 x 6mm 2.16m² Ceramic Tile Underlay Flooring. Just keep in mind that anything you add to your floor adds to its overall thickness.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects