Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best tools to clean glass shower door

lleonyta
Growing in Experience

Best tools to clean glass shower door

showerdoor.jpg

I recently moved to an apartment with the bathroom having glass shower door.

This is the first time I have a bathroom with glass shower door.

I am still trying to find the best tools to clean and wipe the dirt on the glass without worrying to leave any scratches.

Any brand mentioned is welcome :smile:

Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: Best tools to clean glass shower door

plastic-shower-scraper.jpg

@lleonyta, I've got something like this and it works a treat. You can pick one up at most hardware stores - maybe even at a supermarket or $2 shop.

It's also best to scrape the glass down every couple of times you shower. That way you don't have a whole lot of grimy soap build-up when you go to clean it properly.

aly
Making a Splash

Hi @lleonyta, I have a small shower squeegee that I leave in the shower and give the glass a quick clean a couple of times a week. You can pick these up for only a couple of dollars. Mine is a Mr Clean Shower Squeegee but I know there's a Sabo branded one too. I also use glass cleaner and give the panel a good wipe with a paper towel or cloth every few weeks too.

lleonyta
Growing in Experience

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I haven't got squeegee, so I'll definitely try!

Do you guys have tried to use any spray to go with the squeegee?

At the moment I am using this Chux bathroom duet cloth:
2391452.jpg

and Bam foam spray:
9872200.jpg

However I find the spray is running out so quickly, I have only used it for a few times, and it's almost finished! It's also quite pricey. So I am looking for an alternative.

Jackson
Making a Splash

@lleonyta, I only use spray when I give the bathroom a proper clean and I go for Shower Power. My one tip when using it would be to make sure the room is well ventilated. It's really potent!

shower-power.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Cheapest cleaner is to dilute vinegar, put it in a spray bottle & label it. If doing a first clean of grimy glass, use a non-scratch scourer, & a stiff bristle brush for the grout & tiles. To make it easy on yourself, use liquid soap when showering, it doesn't form that mould promoting soap scum.
If you just want to wipe down the cubicle at any time, I highly recommend micro-fibre cloths, a smooth one for glass, & a napped one for the rest.
If you want towels that dry quickly, go for micro fibre, they are so effective you can get away with a much smaller one than you'd normally use. I'm 5'9ish & reasonably hairy, & I can get away with a towel the size of a dish cloth. The other bonus is that they only take up a quarter of the storage space of conventional towels, & they're cheap too.

I swear by the CLR Kitchen and Bathroom Cleaner. Have tried the home remedies and other cleaners. The only problem is that it doesn't smell very nice so make sure you open a window.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@lleonyta & all, I came across a company (a while ago, & forgotten name) on the net that was promoting their cleaning innovation, that removed calcification build up from glass shower screens. Strangely, they openly declared that it was 5000 grit Wet & Dry Paper, which is readily available (used in auto paintshops), & hardly patentable.

Armed with that tip, I bought some sheets on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matador-Wet-Dry-Sandpaper-STONE-MARBLE-5000-Grit-x-2-Sheets-Made-in-Germa...

This morning I wet the paper, & with very light pressure, rubbed over the glass, rinsing the glass & paper as I went.  I then did the tiles too. As you're doing it, you'll notice that as the surface gets cleaner, the paper drags less & very soon glides over the surface when it's clean.

The cubicle came up like brand new, so I'm very happy. :bigsmile:

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

I can understand this could work,Car enthusiests use this method to show their cars,A very fine steel wool can give the same result.

JoJoTested
Finding My Feet

To stop scum and residue build up all together DON'T use cake soap, USE liquid soap/body wash.

But if you already have scum/residue build up, simply water and 'Magic Eraser' sponge, available at Bunnings.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects