Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Broken seal on top of wax ring

atul221282
Growing in Experience

Broken seal on top of wax ring

My toilet smells a lot and it makes whole house smell. Upon inspection I found that the seal around toilet wax has disappeared. Can I just apply the seal or do I have to change the whole toilet. Toilet is cemented on top of the tile base. If I have to remove toilet and replace with a new one then what is the process? To stop the smell I have taped it currently. 

20211108_191718.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Broken seal on top of wax ring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @atul221282. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about a broken seal in your toilet.

The part that you've taped up is called a Holman 100mm DWV PVC Standard Pan Collar. It's composed of three pieces, the pan collar locking ring, the rubber seal, and the pan collar body. The part you need to replace is the Holman 100mm DWV Rubber Pan Collar

To replace the rubber seal without removing the toilet, the top locking ring must be removed. Extra care must be taken not to snap or crack the ring. You'll then need to slide the rubber ring into the collar body past the toilet outlet and back up to sit at the edge of the pan collar. The locking ring must then be put on top of the rubber seal and pushed down to achieve a solid seal. If you feel this is outside your current field of experience, I recommend engaging the services of a professional handyman or registered plumber.

However, if you can remove the toilet pan replacing the rubber seal becomes easy. Placing silicone or wax seal around the pan is a stop-gap measure and is not a permanent fix. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your toilet repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
atul221282
Growing in Experience

Can I use any sealant or tape to cover this as a cheaper fix while I get my budget sorted? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @atul221282

For a temporary repair, I suggest using Fluidmaster Universal Wax Pan Seal. Please make sure to wear disposable gloves while handling the wax sealer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

atul221282
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, really appreciate your feedback

Hi Eric 

I have the same issue. 
Could you please elaborate little more how to replace the rubber seal without removing the toilet. 
Once the top locking ring must be removed, do we need to remove the existing 

damaged rubber seal? Then slide the new one under neath the collar body and pull up then put the locking ring back securely ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vnuthakki. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a toilet seal.

Remove the locking ring and slide it up on the back of the toilet outlet out of the way. This will expose the damaged seal on the top of the collar body, and you'll need to remove it. Once it is removed, slide the new seal over the collar body and under the toilet outlet. Depending on how much room there is here, it could be tricky as the toilet outlet goes down inside the collar body.

Once you have the seal in place, you can return the locking ring to its position.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell, just wondering is there a Bunnings video for this. 

Hi @vnuthakki,

There is no video that I am aware of that shows this process. Please check your local regulations as this is considered plumbing work, and if you are in doubt, it would be best to enlist the services of a professional to complete the job.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects