Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Broken seal on top of wax ring

atul221282
Budding Browser

Broken seal on top of wax ring

My toilet smells a lot and it makes whole house smell. Upon inspection I found that the seal around toilet wax has disappeared. Can I just apply the seal or do I have to change the whole toilet. Toilet is cemented on top of the tile base. If I have to remove toilet and replace with a new one then what is the process? To stop the smell I have taped it currently. 

20211108_191718.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Broken seal on top of wax ring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @atul221282. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about a broken seal in your toilet.

The part that you've taped up is called a Holman 100mm DWV PVC Standard Pan Collar. It's composed of three pieces, the pan collar locking ring, the rubber seal, and the pan collar body. The part you need to replace is the Holman 100mm DWV Rubber Pan Collar

To replace the rubber seal without removing the toilet, the top locking ring must be removed. Extra care must be taken not to snap or crack the ring. You'll then need to slide the rubber ring into the collar body past the toilet outlet and back up to sit at the edge of the pan collar. The locking ring must then be put on top of the rubber seal and pushed down to achieve a solid seal. If you feel this is outside your current field of experience, I recommend engaging the services of a professional handyman or registered plumber.

However, if you can remove the toilet pan replacing the rubber seal becomes easy. Placing silicone or wax seal around the pan is a stop-gap measure and is not a permanent fix. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your toilet repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects