Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bruce93's laundry reno

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Bruce93's laundry reno

20200810_174308.jpgHi Guys. 

My Fiance and I moved into our house at the end of the march. Have done a few small things such as replace some basins, and tapware and carpet.

Our first major reno is a laundry upgrade. 

We have taken a lot of inspiration from @Jimi 

Our current Laundry is below and next to where the photo is taken was a 900mm utlitity cupboard
109012549_212556210081388_8768630817004131772_n.jpg

Our drawing is below. I hope it makes sense. The only difference on the plan is the last 600mm cupboard and floating shelves are swapping so that the 600mm cupboard will be above the sink and the floating shelves will be above the washing machine. Just to clairfy the 600mm gap next to the broom cupboard will be for a dirty washing basket and wet washing basket storage. The other reason for this is that when we sell the house in a few years time it means the new buyers can see the house and see that there is a potential to have a dryer in the laundry. We keep ours in the Garage as we barely use it.
109120638_598599887761619_7146640494702110328_n.jpg

First Job was to relocate a light switch that was put in the incorrect position from when the house was built... Thankfully I'm an Electrician so this wasn't too bad. We have also built and put the 600mm broom cupboard in place.

109164863_2805468116368864_8360225753591651921_n (1).jpg

We will be getting a plumber in to relocate the water pipes to under the sink cabinet and this will involve cutting the wall sheeting away where the splashback will be going.

Our first question we are unsure about is can we get away with using Aquacheck plasterboard for the laundry seeing as it's not a true wet area or should we use cement sheeting. Also theres a big difference in price between the two.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bruce93's Laundry Reno

Hi @bruce93,

It's great to hear of your laundry renovation and congratulations on the new house purchase. I'm sure our members will be excited to follow along with the project.

Aquachek is perfect for use in the laundry as it satisfies the requirements of the Building Code of Australia for wet area wall linings in residential and commercial applications. It is specifically designed as a wet area wall lining and ideal for use in bathrooms, laundries, ensuites and toilets.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bruce93,

I thought I'd throw your design in the Kaboodle 3D planner and check out what it will look like. I think you're spot on there, this looks amazing.

Mitchell

Bruce93'sLaundry.png 

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for doing that in Kaboodle. It looks great and really confirms the decision we are making is the right one. 

Also thank you for the response about the plasterboard that's very helpful. Do we need to apply a waterproof membrane before tiling or are we able to apply the tile adhesive straight to it and if so what would be the best tile adhesive?

Thanks for all the help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bruce93,

I'm glad the rendering assisted with confirming you're making the right decision.

Aquachek only needs to be waterproofed if it is being used in a designated wet area such as a shower recess or where it will be exposed to moisture. For more information on what is classified as a wet area, the Building Code of Australia and the Australia Standard (AS 3740-2010) outline the minimum requirements for waterproofing in residential applications. Laundries are considered a low-risk area and as far as I am aware only need to be waterproofed if there is a break in the vertical surfaces where water is likely to penetrate.

The joints on Aquacheck do need to be set with Gyprock wet area base coat and Gyprock CSR 75m Plasterboard Perforated Paper Jointing Tape

The tile adhesive can be applied directly to the Aquacheck and Davco White Flexible CTA Tile Adhesive would be a suitable choice. I prefer a flexible tile adhesive as it allows a certain amount of structural movement without cracking.

Mitchell

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for all your help with out questions regarding our Laundry Reno.

Just thought I would update this thread with a few pictures. Majority of the work is now completed. I just need to finish of the kickboards and install one more floating shelf but I'm off work for a little bit so it will give me something to do to fill some time in.

20200731_082900.jpg20200731_143320.jpg20200802_163250.jpg20200802_163308.jpg20200803_182606.jpg20200810_173523.jpg20200810_174308.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bruce93,

That is simply amazing! Well done to you, you should be extremely proud of your efforts. I saw your finished picture and the first thought that came to mind was that you had posted some inspiration pictures of what you wanted to achieve. No, you had actually created it.

I'm truly almost lost for words, a big round of applause from me.

Fantastic work.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bruce93's laundry reno

Congratulations @bruce93. You should be really proud. We will feature your work on the Project Gallery.

And a very well done also to @Jimi for providing the inspiration with his very popular laundry renovation project. That's what this amazing community is all about. 

Jason

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Great job. Love the wall tiling!

Hi, awesome looking result. What type of bench top did you use?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects