Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget laundry makeover

rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

Budget laundry makeover

new1.png

Finally finished my laundry makeover. Thanks heaps to @diy_hausdesigns for letting me use your shelf design and helping me with the measurements, it really adds a great look. I debated using Kaboodle cupboards, but ended up using their cheaper Flatpax ones. I substituted the Hafele soft close hinges (the ones that came with the cupboard were pretty crappy).

I'm so glad that my daughter's builder friend was able to help me with the paneling and putting the cupboards up. It took him a few hours where it would've taken me days and he wouldn't take any money for his time either. What a great friend!

@rubytuesday1953 

5.jpg7.jpg10.jpg15.jpg19.jpgTaDa!!!!TaDa!!!!30.jpg31.jpg

rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

Sideboard

Here's the sideboard's journey to the laundry1a.jpg2.jpg3.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My budget laundry makeover

Beautiful results @rubytuesday1953

Many thanks for creating this discussion so our members can easily find your work. I'm sure they will gain plenty of inspiration from your contribution. 

I love the use of the sideboard, it's a fantastic inclusion and really completes the look. It would be great if you could walk us through some of the steps involved with it. Did you sand back the previous coating before painting? Is that contact vinyl you've used inside the cupboards? What sort of finish is that on the top?

I'll be looking forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Sideboard

The outside looked pretty good so I was only going to paint the inside to get rid of the old wood smell but I found that the previous owners had used chalk paint and it started to rub off. 

I sanded the whole lot back to bare wood and started all over again. What a gigantic PITA but I like to start with a fresh palette. I used Taubman's Tradex ultra prep on the bare wood. I would've really liked to use the Tradex paint for the top coats but they've stopped making the the paint base that I needed so I could use black.

I prefer to use oil based enamel as it gives a better finish but I was talked into using British paints H2O water based enamel. Not a great fan. Didn't like the finish. I'm very fussy though. Everyone else thinks it looks great.

Yes,  it's contact inside the cupboard. No one else knows it's there except me but I put it in all my projects.

I was going to stain the top but I couldn't find one that went with the shelf colour. The previous owners must have chalk painted the top then sanded it back so I just smoothed it out and did 4 coats of Monocel oil based Satin clear wood varnish. Gives a really nice finish.

And I put wheels on it to make it easier to move around. Used 8 wheels each taking 25kg. Had to line them all up and make sure they were reasonably level (another PITA)

All up I think the makeover cost less than $1000. (only because our builder  friend helped with the installation and didn't charge anything for his time)

Re: Sideboard

Thanks for the added detail @rubytuesday1953. It will really help paint the full picture of how you went about achieving this amazing project. I'm sure our members will appreciate it.

Many thanks once again.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Hi @rubytuesday1953 

Congrats ! That looks soo good! Great work and impressive detailing. I'm sure you are loving the change and amount of storage you have. 

Huge fan of the paneling on the wall. Something I'll keep in mind!

Happy to help anytime 🙂

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns 

Next stop the Butler's Pantry!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects