Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can anyone suggest a brown wall paint?

sarah10
Finding My Feet

Can anyone suggest a brown wall paint?

IMG_1744.png

Hi, I’m having trouble choosing a colour for my bathroom walls, I’ve got 10 different paint samples on the wall (favourite so far is dulux beige calm) but was hoping someone might have used a nice brown/beige colour and would be willing to share a picture of how it turned out which might help me decide. Any suggestions are welcome! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can anyone suggest a brown wall paint

Hello @sarah10 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about wall paint.

I've had a look at the Dulux beige calm, and I've noticed in the sample pictures on the internet that most of the room displays have bright floors. Will you be retiling or painting your tiled floor? If you are, I recommend using a light colour to act as contrast to the beige calm.

Darker colours tend to act as a contrast to the light pieces in your bathroom. The shower, vanity and toilet are often white and will now be much more visible due to the contrasting colour. A darker colour also reduces the glare of an all-white bathroom.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @lifestylebymari, @Peggers and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you choose the right paint colour?

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to choose a wall colour for the bathroom? by @mich1972.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Re: Can anyone suggest a brown wall paint?

HI @sarah10 ,

The number one thing to choose colours by is to base the choice on any existing materials that will stay in the space.

Your floor tile colour is a bold blue, and the skirting a pale blue - I assume that they are staying where they are. Any brown that you choose much work well with your floor tiles and not be viewed only on the walls. Beige Calm has a bit of a pink undertone I think and so I worry that it won't work with the blue.

Is there any reason you are leaning towards a brown? Brown may go well with a deep dark blue, but this brighter blue of your tiles makes it tricky. I would steer more towards greys, dark blue or taupe tones, maybe with a slight green undertone.

e.g Pozieres, Unforgettable, Spanish Olive, Too Blue - all from Dulux.  Best to use Low Sheen Wash & Wear for Bathrooms.

Good luck!  Don't be afraid of some drama in a bathroom.

Next time you test some samples, make sure you put them next to your tiles and high on the wall.

Thank you! At this stage it’s easier for us to leave the old tiles as they are so I need to work around those. I fell in love with the English cottage style which is why I was trying to find the right brown but I’ll look at the colours you’ve suggested now. So appreciative of your advice! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sarah10 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your final colour choice.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_1885.jpeg

Im looking into other colours that will suit the tiles better so it might take a while, I’ll definitely post an update though. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects