Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you remove the middle shelf and rail of a Flatpax cabinet?

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Can you remove the middle shelf and rail of a Flatpax cabinet?

Hi all, so i bought a Flatpax 450mm base cabinet for my laundry sink, but the waterpipe will hit the middle shelf or the rail. Will i be able to remove the middle shelf and rail without having an issue with the cabinet? I didn't know flatpax is not adjustable i could have just buy the kaboodle if i knew, but to late now since i assembled it already. Thanks in advance 

20231108_181651.jpg

20231108_181641.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you remove the middle shelf and rail of a Flatpax cabinet?

Hello @Newbie2k23 

Would it be possible to cut the shelf so that it can accommodate the water pipe? When you say rail are you referring to the top rail with the multiple screws on display? If it is, I suggest cutting the rail so that the water pipe can fit in. But I would still keep it there as it serves as a corner support. 

If you are worried that the sides of the cabinet will be compromised, I suggest cutting a piece of timber the same width as the the supporting piece and putting it inside the cabinet to serve as a support piece. 

Can you please take a picture of the wall where the plumbing fittings are located. While you are taking the picture can you please put a tape measure right next to the plumbing fittings. This will tell me where the fittings will likely hit the cabinet.

Let me call on our experienced members #Dave-1, @TedBear and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Newbie2k23 , I agree with @EricL 's suggestion of cutting the minimum out of the back edge of the shelf. To help minimise the impact of the pipes on the cabinet's utility, I also suggest first fitting some right angle fittings to the pipes where they protude from the wall so that the fittings can then be kept closer to the wall rather than extend fully out into the cabinet area as they do now. The flexible pipes could also be clamped to the wall to keep them out of the way. You could then add another strip of timber across the shelf just to stop items falling off the back of (what's left of) the middle shelf. That way it's still to some degree useful.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newbie2k23,

Is the ultimate goal to have the cabinets back hard against the wall? I note that the wall fittings have been left exceptionally long, and the threaded pipe does not need to be extended that far out from the wall. So, if you aren't placing the cabinets hard against the wall and just need some room, the threaded pipe fittings could be shortened by a plumber to make the pipework installation less intrusive.

Regarding your cabinetry, that can be adjusted. I recommend you mark the threaded pipe locations on the rear of it and drill holes to suit; if anything becomes not structurally sound, you can add some timberwork or additional brackets to support the shelf.

Mitchell

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Hi all thank you so much for the suggestions and late reply. So i decided to buy a kaboodle instead to be sure because it will complicate the laundry pull out that i bought aswell. I will let the plumber know regarding shortening the pipe thank you. Is their anything i need to mention the plumber? Thank you so much. 

If you've gone for a Kaboole, then you should be able to drill the required holes in the cabinet @Newbie2k23. Once the plumber gets there, they'll remove the tap, push the cabinet against the wall, and re-install the tap inside the cabinet.

Shortening the pipe was for if there is a cavity behind the cabinet. It depends on whether you are pushing the cabinet against the wall. If you are, there is no need to shorten the pipes as their length is needed to go through the wall back wall of the cabinet.

Mitchell

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @MitchellMc just wondering if you know what sort of valve i need to mention to the plumber regarding switching off/on without going to the main supply? And regarding the hole for the water and drainage pipe and for the mixer do we have to do that or the plumber? Many thanks

The plumber should be more than aware of the type of isolation valve needed @Newbie2k23. Typically you'd use mini cistern cocks

I'd imagine the plumber would be capable of placing the holes for the pipework in the cabinetry. Best to speak with them about that and enquire whether an additional charge would be incurred.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects