Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Concerned about moisture....

Abby
Getting Established

Concerned about moisture....

IMG_1606.JPGIMG_1617.JPGIMG_1628.JPGIMG_1790.JPGIMG_1717.JPG

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right board, so apologies if this should be elsewhere. 

I recently removed an old door and window from a bedroom (which used to be a laundry) and replaced it with a massive window and a brick veneer wall. BUT now that I've almost finished I've realised that I may encounter a problem down the line with moisture. So I'm not sure if I was supposed to put anything between the wood and concrete or between the bricks and concrete.

Have I made a big mistake? If so can this be fixed? Any advice is much appreciated :smile:

Abby :smile:

Abby
Getting Established

Re: Concerned about moisture....

Thanks for the diagram it makes it so much easier to understand, so the brick wall I built to close up the door gap does not have 'slab edge flashing' nor weep holes, but the walls on either side do have flashing and weep holes. My window has flashing all the way around.
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @Abby

you are welcome, The Diagram is old technology but never the less still useful on forums

You will need to take specific photos of the water ingress point in front/Outside of the window and at the back/Inside and post up the photos.
If you have finished the wall then I will need to recommend alternate solutions.
OT The Static Image is a jpeg which has limited use in conveying what you see behind the wall, for that you will require a gif (rotating animation) or a viewer/app ie mobile phone/ipad etc
If you require more sophisticated 3D tools for viewing (ie Rotating, Zooming,etc) the correct construction/engineered/code compliant details before actually doing the job
Your important "DIY repair"  or "how to" post is likely to get lost in amongst vegitation hopefully @Jason  will be fixing that in the site upgrade.

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Abby,

Just checking in to see how this project is going. Please let us know if you need further help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects