Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creaking toilet seat

gnicholson
Growing in Experience

Creaking toilet seat

We replaced our Caroma M3 standard toilet seat with a new one exactly the same. However this new one creaks every time we sit on it and is driving us mad. Have tried silicon oil, WD40 and googled utubes.

Any other bright ideas out there?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Creaking toilet seat

Hi @gnicholson,

As that model isn't particularly rigid, I'd suspect that it's the seat itself flexing under load. I presume you sprayed that WD40 and Silicon oil down into the hinge section? If you could narrow down where the creaking is coming from, that might give us some leads. 

If this was one of our products and you are unsatisfied with it, I trust our team in-store will be able to look at returning it for you. Perhaps it's just your seat with an issue, like the hinge section being too tight.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vis-á-vis
Having an Impact

I’ve fitted a few seats that have creaked out of the box. In each instance is was the positioning of the bolts that were putting pressure on the plastic causing it to creak. 
Take the seat off. With it not being on the toilet then see if you can make it creak by opening and closing and putting some weight on it.
if you can’t make it creak then it is most likely the positioning of the bolts putting stress on the plastic. Put the seat back on and keep the bolts loose. They should have some play in their positioning. Move them around so that your seat sits where it should and the bolts have some play within their adjustable range. 
keep them loose and see if it creaks when you sit on it. 

Sometimes you just have to play around with those bolts to find the sweet spot. 

Great advice, @Vis-á-vis! I'd agree that this could likely be the cause. I'm sure @gnicholson appreciates your expert input.

Mitchell

Yes it creaks out of the box and not on the toilet so think it is the seat. My husband says there are signs up about not returning toilet seats in the store. I guess it is an O H & S issue but you wouldn't be selling this one to anyone else but sending back. Don't suppose anyone has suggestions for which are the best ones? Hard plastic I presume but whether they fit the toilet is an issue, would have to be caroma brand?

Glenda

Hi @gnicholson,

That signage is for change of mind purchases, not faulty returns or customer satisfaction issues. 

I usually go with something in the mid-price range. They typically have thicker plastic and are more rigid. Most toilet seats come with universal adjustable fitting, but some shape-wise fit better than others. Since you have this seat that fits well, I'd recommend using it as a size comparison when selecting the new one. 

Please let me know if you happen to have difficulties returning the toilet seat. I'd be happy to contact the store to ensure it's a smooth swap over for you.

Mitchell

Thanks I am going to try and return it tomorrow. Getting someone knowledgeable to help me choose could be the problem, staff often hard to find apart from checkout.

Glenda

Glenda (@gnicholson),

On entering the store, please speak with the helpful meet and great team member at the door and ask them to arrange a plumbing expert to meet you in the toilet seat section. I trust they'll be able to provide you with any assistance you might need.

Mitchell

Thanks for that suggestion. I did that at 9 am and found they had a  Haron TS 1000 $70 soft closing seat going out for $20. I asked what is wrong with it and he said nothing we just have too many and nowhere to put them. Brought it home, husband not sure it would work, he took it back got the same guy to show him how to fit it to the caroma pan and now we have a new non-squeaky toilet seat. Didn't refund the first one but I figure if he told me the truth we got a $70 toilet seat for $45 so happy with that.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Regards Glenda

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gnicholson (Glenda)

It's good to know that you've sorted that toilet seat issue. I'm sure my colleague @MitchellMc will be pleased to know that his recommendations worked.

If you need assistance with any other project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects