Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First time laundry reno advice

Loulou2
Getting Established

First time laundry reno advice

Hi all,

I am about to embark on my first ever Reno and DIY so a little bit daunted by the process. 
I am planning on updating my laundry which is a reasonable sized space but has very little storage.

I have already bought flat pack cabinetry (perhaps a little prematurely 😬). This includes 2x 850mm wall hung cabinets, 1x 600mm standing cabinet to be used as the basin cabinet and 1x 450mm standing cabinet. This will allow space for the washing machine and dryer to sit under a bench top.

I am now a bit confused as to how to remove the old laundry trough cabinet and plumbing and then hide the washing machine drain hose in the new cabinetry. 
I have watched a couple of Bunnings videos which have been helpful in explaining how to cut holes in the cabinet for the piping and installing the sink into the bench but haven’t found a lot of info on hiding the washing machine piping. 
I’ve uploaded my current laundry and my ideas for new laundry for your info (basically just flip this one). 
Thanks in advance for any advice you can

lend!  

828ACE16-C8FE-4999-81B4-D00295D9BBD4.jpeg

849F3B54-4F90-4171-B996-7E69D0076DBF.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: First Time Laundry Reno Advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Loulou2. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Congratulations on embarking on your laundry renovation.

Will you be employing the services of a plumber to move the tap wall outlets? If so, they will locate new connection points which are concealed beneath the benchtop and inside the cabinetry for you. Those connection points will have hoses that run directly to your new tap set and washing machine inlet. The washing machine drainage hose can be concealed in the vacant area behind the cabinets kick panels and run to the sink waste.

To remove the old laundry trough cabinet you would disconnect the drainage pipe from the waste plug via the large nut in the cabinet. In many cases, this is the only physical item holding a sink cabinet where it is. You might find that there is silicone caulking run around the top of the sink insert.  The cabinet could be attached with screws or bolts to the wall or floor. Once you remove the sink insert the fixing method should become evident.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thanks so much for your advice! It’s very helpful.

Yes, I will be using a plumber for this. Do you know if cutting holes in the cabinetry to fit the new taps would be something they do? Preferably would like to only get them out to my house once if possible. I’d be happy to do it but don’t want to put it in the wrong spot etc. Is it best if I install the cabinet before or after they come? 

Many thanks,

Louise 🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Louise (@Loulou2),

Cutting holes to route plumbing and taps through cabinetry and timber benchtops is something a plumber can do. It's always best to check with them at the time of quoting just to make sure there are no hiccups. I would assemble the cabinetry and have it in position but not fixed in place. This allows them to move it when needed.

Mitchell

Great advice @MitchellMc . Thanks again!! 

Great advice @MitchellMc Thank you. Hoping to book in a plumber to come and have a look next week.

In regards to purchasing a laundry sink. If the cabinet I have is 600mm width and 580mm depth would that fit a sink 450x510mm ok? I’m not sure if it needs a lot of extra space on the sides? 
Thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Loulou2,

I'd really need to see what type of sink it is to clarify that for you. Is it one of our products? Could you provide the link or description?

Mitchell

Sure! I was actually looking at one on catch.com as it was a really good price. I can link that if you’d like? Or open to suggestions of Bunnings products with similar price range. This one is just under $100.

Thanks @MitchellMc 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the clarification @Loulou2.

If you'd like to provide more information on the style of sink you are after I'd be happy to recommend something from our range. Alternatively, the Catch team might be better equipped to provide specific advice about their product and whether it is suitable for your needs.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc . I’m looking for a square edge top mount sink, no need for any tap holes etc

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects