Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing broken tap and grout

Robin
Growing in Experience

Fixing broken tap and grout

I need advice if I am able to fix the broken tap and any tips for filling grout in shower?IMG_5285.jpgIMG_5286.jpgBroken tap toilet.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing broken tap and grout

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Robin. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It's a bit hard to tell from your images of the tap handle if something is broken. I would presume that a small grub screw, which locks the handle on,  has become loose or fallen out altogether. If you could take a clearer photo of the inside of the handle and the top of the spindle on the wall I could possibly assist further.

Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial on How to grout wall tiles which will be the same process as your floors. Some other D.I.Y tutorials that you might find helpful are How to freshen up grout and Grout cleaning tips and tricks.

A couple of products which are fantastic for rejuvenating grout are Selleys 280g Grout Stain Whitener and White Knight 7ml White Grout Pen

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Robin
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc !

The grout video tutorial is really giving me a lot of new information :smile: I have attached a picture of the tap handle and there is no area to put a screw from outside. IMG_5293.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Robin,

These types of taps generally get attached in one of two ways. The hole I have listed as '1' looks like a screw should go in there. Please check on the top of the handle to see if there is some type of cap that can be removed so a screw can be inserted. I don't find this very likely as that hole is generally designed for older taps that have a screw-on cap.

The area I have marked '2' please check to see if this is a little hole where a grub screw could be inserted. If it is a hole then potentially the straight handle section might unscrew off allowing access for the grub screw to be tightened onto the spindle shaft. Once again I don't find this likely as normally a grub screw wouldn't be tightened down onto a spindles splined section.

Was this handle ever tight and in position? I'm just wondering if this might be a case of mismatched handles and spindles and that it was merely pressure fitted there in the first place.

Let me mention the very knowledgable @redracer01 to see if he can assist with how the tap handle is fixed.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Robin 

@MitchellMc  is correct there is a grub screw that holds the handle on to the spindle. If you look closely at the handle you will notice that the steel bar handle will actually screw out ( this may require some effort ). After taking the bar handle off you will see where the grub screw goes in. Just in case the grub screw has gone missing you can get a replacement at the plumbing isle at Bunnings, it is sold as a spare part kit. Hope this helps, good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Robin
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you!. I checked the handle again and i am not able to find any cap to insert any screw from the outside.

I can see a small screw internally but I am trying to figure out with grub screw, how to fix it as i won't be able to adjust this when the handle is plug in.

IMG_5387.jpgIMG_5386.jpgIMG_5384.jpgIMG_5382.jpgIMG_5383.jpgIMG_5385.jpgIMG_5400.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Robin 

The steel handle in front of the word cold is the handle you need to twist off so that you can access the grub screw with an allen key. Turn anti clockwise to twist off steel handle. This will require effort as it is sometimes very well fixed.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Robin,

I'd just like to confirm that @redracer01 is correct that the straight handle sticking out needs to be unscrewed so you can access the grub screw.

Please let us know if you are having trouble unscrewing the lever handle.

Mitchell

Robin
Growing in Experience

Omg! @MitchellMc @redracer01  I am able to unscrewed the straight handle! You guys are brilliant! I never think about this as it looks like one single part. With the grub screw, is there a specific size I need to get?IMG_5420.jpgIMG_5418.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Robin 

Buy this tool one of them is sure to fit!

Screenshot_20200825-194217_Chrome.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects