Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grout cleaning and sealing

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Grout cleaning and sealing

Hello 

I have tried using bleach (without mixing water) to remove the black fungus that gets deposited on the grout (Corner where floor and wall tiles meet each other). That works well with a cotton bud and bleach. But quite smelly at times and near to war a mask.

I have few questions as below:

1. Wondering on any products (especially for floor tiles), where I can apply and clean it with a brush / cloth to remove the dirt between the floor tiles.

2. Our house is 8 month old and the color of grout seems to diminish (from brand new stage);  To buy the same color grout is there a color grading system (similar to paint) - In short, how can I buy the same grout matching its color. 

3. Can I apply grout above the current layer or I have to scrap the old one before applying it. Remember the grout is 8 months old.

4. If outcome of task#3 is scrapping, then please propose tools required along with any standard methods for scrapping and reapplying the grout. (Videos should be great)

Quite fascinating tasks ahead and looking forward for your inputs.

Good weekend guys.

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grout Cleaning & sealing

Hi @nagumuthu,

Using bleach can be a smelly process, but it is one of the best ways of killing mould and its spores. I'd suggest after a thorough cleaning for you to seal the grout with Davco 500ml Sanitized Tile And Grout Sealer. The mould is hard to remove because it grows deep into the pores on the cement-based grout, and no matter how much you scrub, it won't come out easily. The sealer fills these pores so the mould can't enter them.

Although replacing the grout with the same colour will freshen it up for another eight months, I don't see that as a solution as you'll experience the same problem over time. If you do want to redo the grout, here's the Davco grout colour selector.

To double-check, is it grout in the corner between the wall and floor, or is it silicone? Silicone will be soft, whereas grout is hard cement.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Re: Grout cleaning and sealing

Hello Mitchell,

Thanks for the proposal.

You are right to say that it is silicon between the floor and wall tiles. I had a check now.

By the way, are there any videos around to apply sealer above the grout..? That will shed good light on the tools required for the activity. If not, can you propose tools required to the task. In my memory, paper tape is the only one pops up immediately. Rest of the tools are to be procured.

Thanks.

I had a look at below video, which is helpful on the sealing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rteRtF2k8cc

Wondering on any respirator required that prevents inhalation of fumes. Can you please propose any that caters for most of the chemicals. So that I can use it for all purposes. Let it be the one with replacement of filters. These are just my expectations. Not sure whether one is available within my budget. Also should the filters be replaced based on no. of days or there are any indicators for replacing them.

Thanks.

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: How to seal grout. The Protector Respirator Kit would be suitable to help prevent inhalation of fumes. I would encourage you to swap out the cartridges that come with it for Protector A-AUS / P2 Combined Cartridge Filters as they will provide better protection. However, the key is to have the room well ventilated, so open some windows and put a fan on in there to circulate air. These cartridges protect against fumes and are also suitable for protecting against dust, mists and odours. You should replace the filters if they become blocked, you experience difficulty breathing or you can taste or smell contaminants in the mask. You also need to abide by any expiry dates stamped on the cartridges.

Some materials you'll need:

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects