Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix my toilet?

Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

How can I fix my toilet?

• Which of the following Pan Connectors are the right fix for my toilet please?  (Will it be hard to do?)
  • Builder pulled my toilet out to put cement board underneath in preparation for tiling but now it's too high. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/products?q=pan%20connector&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

• 20210225_193322 (2).jpg
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix my toilet?

Hi @Maxtiger,

You'll likely need to remove the current offset and measure how far it is offsetting the pipe. You'd then step up to the next larger offset. The issue we'll experience, and I'm sure you are too, is that without knowing what's on there now, we could only guess from your image.

It's likely a 20mm Kinetic Universal Offset Trap Adaptor Pan Connector on there at the moment, so you'd switch it to a Plastec 40mm Offset Flexible Fin Pan Connector. You can see in the image below that the 20mm offset appears very similar to what is there.

The next size up offset is the Plastec 60mm Flexi Fin Pan Offset Connector, which appears to be far too large.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

Thanks for advice!

I had a helpful tiler who used the Kinetic offset but there was a little bit of leaking.

He then repaired by sealing it with silicon sealant?

Is this a temporary fix do you think?

He's sealed the toilet down also into place but not screwed.

Appreciate your advice please!

Thanks from M

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Maxtiger

Using a silicone sealant is more of a stop-gap measure than an actual repair. However, if it has stopped the leak, I would leave the repair alone for the time being. The problem with using silicone is that it's difficult to say when it will give out. If it had been Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant, I would be a bit more confident. This silicone is rated as a clear waterproof sealant and can be applied even on wet surfaces. For the moment just keep an eye out for any leaks. When the silicone gives way, that'll be the time to repair it properly. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects