Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I get these shower taps off?

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

How can I get these shower taps off?

The bonnet can turn enough to leave approx 8 mm of spindle showing. I have included a photo IMG_1160.jpg

to show the tap handles. Does Bunnings sell replacements for these?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How can I get these shower taps off?

Hi @tigerzen 

Usually taps like that have a allan key hole under the tap handle so please have a look for such access.

Once  the handle is off the round  bit on the wall unscrews you might need multigrips to turn them  Please put some tape on the metal so the jaws  dont slip and or chip the chrome.

After that with the house water off you will see a larger  nut closes to the wall undo that counter  clock wise take the tap off and take all the parts to bunnings and ask the plumbing section  people help you select a size suitable replacment to  reinstall may need some plumbing teflon tape to prevent leaks on an older tap base.

If this  seams  to daunting to do Please  take  your photos to bunnings they can help you buy  suitable new taps and you can call a plumber to help you.

Hi Jewelleryrescue,

There are no allen key slots for this tap, we couldn't see any screw slots anywhere.

Ok @tigerzen 

I believe you  couldnt see any allen  key holes.  Some times they have caps over the holes but I think you would  have seen them.

Eric will be able to advise better here he will respond tomorrow no doubt.  

The next thing will turn water on to try  this so try cold water first.  Try unscrewing the  tap handles probably anti clockwise fully open until they stop then try a little extra pressure and see if  they unscrew off. To much  force  will break the metals. Beware!!!  not to  try go too  hard as  damage can occur in the wall  causing an expensive repair If you feel uncomfortable  with this wait for Eric Tomorrow or some one  who knows those taps with first hand info.

Be gentle helps coming

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tigerzen 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about removing your shower taps.

I suspect that this has a hidden brass locking nut hidden behind the handle. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it is attached. You'll need to use a Kinetic Spout And Handle Repair Kit, in the kit you'll see a flat bladed tool with two prongs pointed up. This tool fits in the back of the tap handle and you'll need to turn it anti- clockwise to loosen the brass nut.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to replace a tap washer 

You'll notice in step two with the tap head displays, there is one with a hidden fixture behind the tap handle.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric for the illustration and advice. I have felt behind the lever tap and can't locate any small slots for the wrench to fit into, assuming there aren't any, is there another way to get the lever off so I can change the washer. Also, because this is a half turn lever, does this operate on a ceramic cartridge rather than the standard tap washer that you have referred to?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tigerzen 

Can I please ask you to take a photo of the side and back of the tap handle? It's possible that the locking ring is recessed deep inside the back of the handle that's possibly why you can't touch anything. I suggest getting a picture of the back to give you a better idea of what it looks like.

Eric

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

I'll endeavour to get a photo and go from there, thanks for your help.

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Hi again Eric,

It was next to impossible to get a decent photo but your Kinetic kit did the job, there was in fact a retaining ring holding the tap in place. Once I got it off I discovered that the taps had cartridges and I replaced the existing taps with more modern taps. Thank you for your help.

I have installed the taps, should I put some silicon behind the bonnets as they just spin ie they are not secured to anything? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tigerzen 

Thank you so much for the update. I'm glad you've repaired your tapware. I propose just putting a few solid spots of silicone on the bonnets to prevent them from spinning. In this manner it will not be so hard to remove when you need to do repair work on the tapware in the future.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects