Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make my laundry more practical with doors?

roxburghstreet
Finding My Feet

How can I make my laundry more practical with doors?

I currently have my laundry stacked on top of each other but looking for ideas to move my washer and dryer side by side as I am starting to feels the pains of the stacking. The width of the current sink comes out 600mm however the down pipe only comes out 400mm. The width of the doors open is roughly 1250mm when fully open and the internal width of the wall is 1850mm and a height of roughly 2100mm. 

roxburgh.jpgroxburgh1.jpg

The rough width of the washer and dryer are both 600mm each.

Just wanting to see what ideas you can provide with reducing the sink size and putting shelves above the washer and dryer. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I make my laundry more practical with droors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @roxburghstreet. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your laundry (hopefully with a little bit of help from our amazing members).

Let me tag the ever-helpful @redracer01 who is a whiz when it comes to reimagining bathroom, kitchen and laundry spaces, among many other gifts. 

Thanks for the photos and dimensions, they will greatly assist. 

Have you also seen some of the other laundry transformation projects shared by members? Here's some great recent examples:

Thanks for joining us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How can I make my laundry more practical with doors?

Hello @roxburghstreet 

Below is a typical set up for a laundry. This particular configuration will work only with the following changes to your current laundry set up. 

- Your door opening is smaller than your wall space. It blocks the full use of the wall, I suggest we remove the doors and door frame of the laundry area.

- If you place either machine in the corner of the current space it will limit the opening of its door because the door frame prevents it from opening further. The same thing will happen at the other end should you put a cabinet at the far end. The doors will not fully open.

- I suspect you have a 2400 ceiling. There is a small wall attached to your ceiling that again prevents you from utilizing the entire space of the wall. I suggest we remove it. It will then allow you to use the entire height of the wall.

- Once your new laundry is built it now becomes a feature of your bathroom area instead of a utility area. You no longer need to hide it behind folding doors.

- Colors and configuration are a plenty just type laundry in the search bar and see what the others have done with their space. But if you wish to see it in another series please drop us note here at workshop. Good luck and take care.

Cheers,

Red

roxburg laundry1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @roxburghstreet. It's fantastic to have you join us and great to hear about your laundry project.

I see the amazing @redracer01 has already given a helpful reply and design solution. As he has mentioned this design is becoming extremely popular as it uses all available space, still provides the utility sink and allows the use of a benchtop. I agree with his assessment that the enclosing walls are the major obstruction here to achieving a functional workspace.

In the past, it has been highly desirable to enclose these spaces and lock them off to the world. Recently though through advancement in storage solutions, benchtops and sink alternatives things have changed. It has become more readily accessible for owners to D.I.Y. a beautiful laundry that has no need to be hidden away and can actually improve the look of the room.

What do you think about opening up the space and removing the enclosing walls/doors?

Mitchell

The problem is that I have no experience in removing walls and don't see that happening knowing my husband. The other problem I just realized is that I have lifted my washing machine higher as I am retired and looking for easier access to the washing machine(height wise so I dont have to bend over all the time to put the laundry in and get it out) . 

Is it possible to build drawers along the bottom with a bench top and then place my washer/dryer on top of the counter tops so I dont have to bend over?

@roxburghstreet,

In order to have the washer and dryer side by side, it would mean the door of the lefthand unit will come in contact with the enclosing wall. There doesn't appear to be enough room in the middle of the bench as the sink obstructs them on the right. The only solution I can see is changing the sink to a mini version, but then you would have to consider whether it would be useful at all. With the doors removed you might gain a few more centimetres and there is a possibility that they will fit on the bench with a slimline sink.

It is hard to tell from images if you will be able to use the doors on the cabinets and appliances without actually trying the configurations. Chances are though that they will be impeded to some degree with the enclosing walls in place.

Mitchell

I agree that they wont fit so I will need to move the sink to the corner and make it a bit smaller. The width of the doors is currently at 1250mm and the width of the washer/dryer would come to about 1200mm. 

The main question I have though is, would it be safe to put both the washer/dryer on top of the counter for stability? 

I know its not a conventional design so thats why I want to make sure that it wont cause any issues by raising them up to the counter. I would have to make a large counter top of at least 700mm deep (which should fit) but just want to make sure it would work with the washer/dryer from falling off or moving around on the counter. 

Thanks for all your advise and help on this!

@roxburghstreet,

I would be of the opinion that stability would not necessarily be an issue when placing a washer/dryer on top of the counter. However, it would be a necessity to secure them to the wall. This could be accomplished by utilising their wall mounting feature if they have them. Otherwise, you would need to fix them with some type of bracket so they don't vibrate their way off the countertop.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @roxburghstreet 

I truly sympathize with your current situation with your desire to re-organize your laundry. Lets take it step by step.

- We know that we will have to use a builder or handy man to do this job for you.

-Remove the doors,

-Remove the door frame

-Remove ceiling enclosure to access rest of wall.

-Re-board/plaster exposed framing and finish to a high quality.

-Finish and paint laundry space.

-Install cabinetry.

-Install bench top and reinforce top with added bracing and angle brackets to resist vibration and shaking of laundry machines.

-Tile back of laundry area and install shelves.

- Install and plumb laundry machines ( very important! Follow balancing recommendations of washing machine to reduce vibrations )

How to get there :

Ask builder or reputable handy man for a quote for this particular job. ( get at least 3 you can get one online google "Hipages" ) 

-You can do a long term reno - buy the parts that you need and when you get a tradie who can commit you can then proceed with reno.

- Save up until you can reach the builders/handy mans quote.

- Perhaps a family member or relative who has done renovations before.

Can you put these machines on a bench top? Yes!

Will the bench top need to be reinforced? Yes!

Do they need to be balanced once on the bench top? Yes!

I strongly suggest to hold off on a half baked reno as you will regret the effort if a more viable solution is with in reach. These types of renovation do not happen often and when they do, you want to do it with maximum practicality that adds usable space and is a comfort to use in your retirement. Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

roxburg laundry2.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects