Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace the mouldy timber door frame?

tungdang
Growing in Experience

How do I replace the mouldy timber door frame?

Hi,

IMG_5238.jpegIMG_5243.jpeg

Near my bathroom door, there is a mouldy & rotten timber part. Does anyone know a page/thread/post showing how to cut off a part of timber and repaint it? 

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace the mouldy timber part?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tungdang. It's marvellous to have you join us and many thanks for your question about repairing your door frame.

It looks like you've got a bit of a water leak issue and have applied some silicone to stem its penetration into the timber. Have you resolved the leak? If not, any new timber is going to rot as well. 

How bad is this mould, and how rotted is this timber? Is the timber spongey to the touch? From the photos, it doesn't appear to be exceptionally bad. I'd suggest you dig out any soft, rotted timber, spray Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener over the remaining timber, fill any voids with Selleys 50g Maple Plastic Wood, sand the filler smooth, and then repaint the area. This process would be far easier than removing that bottom section of jamb and architrave and replacing it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tungdang
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc for helping! 

The timber is spongy when touching it.I tried to clean the black mould section and it comes back after around 1-2 months. So I think the leaking is not too bad. I used megasealed.com.au service to do an inspection. They said there is no leaking issue because if it is leaking, it should happen quickly and I could see the damage in timber floor near bathroom door right away. I used megasealed.com.au service to seal my bathroom floor near shower area to prevent any water to go through the floor and go deeper underground.

I tried to use spray Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener  and  Selleys 50g Maple Plastic Wood like you said as well. However, the mould seciton came back after 2-3 months. I suspect I did not remove rotted timber completely before applying the Wood Hardener and Maple Plastic Wood. So a tiny remaining mould seciton can ruin the whole fixing process. Therefor I am looking for a way to cut off whole bottom section of jamb and replace a new wood & repaint it.

Thank you again, @MitchellMc !

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Mould and rot don't start or continue to progress unless there is water present @tungdang. So, if this is a continuing issue, I suspect water is accessing the area.

You can cut the whole section out, but there will be substantial work to recreate all the timber. You'd likely start but make a horizontal cut through all the timber above the rotted section. Then with a chisel and hammer, you'd begin knocking out the timber. Next, you'll need to find suitable architrave mouldings and timber to recreate the section. It might be easier to pull the entire architrave off to the top and find a new length to replace all of it. Once you have the timber, you can glue and screw it back into position fill any gaps with the Plasti-wood, prime and paint.

If you haven't attempted this type of repair before, it might be best to get a couple of quotes on how much it would cost for a professional to repair. You can then decide whether it's worth repairing yourself. However, we're here to assist you with the project, so let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tungdang
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc for explanation! I will do some more research to decide if I should hire a professional service to help. Have a good day!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects