Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Hey guys, 

might be a stupid question but I have an issue with laundry taps. Plumber came and changed washers etc I keep taps on at the wall at all times but I’ve noticed that I’m getting air pockets and banging on other taps because of the washing machine taps. Not sure if this is pressure related. 

so the question is, how far should the taps be turned on? I assume the plumber changed this and could be the cause? I currently have them turned 4 times each. 

thank you.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Re: How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

@EricL  Thank you. 

this could be the cause as I had no issues previously,y washing machine was installed (new one )

So even when the washing machine isn’t on, it could still be the cause if the rest of the Taps?

thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Hello @Newgreenthumb

It comes down to a matter of eliminating the possible causes. If the washing machine is off and you still have knocking in your plumbing odds are the jumper valves you are using need to be replaced. If knocking only occurs when the washing machine is on then it will be the solenoid valve that's causing the knocking. You'll therefore need to install the Sioux Chief Water Hammer Arrestor.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: laundry taps

@MitchellMc 

I tried  your method again and unfortunately now I have no water coming through the taps at all. I’ve spoke with greater western water and am having a problem with anyone coming out for a few days, I e called so many plumbers. Any tips on why this may be happening. Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Newgreenthumb

This is a different symptom altogether. I suggest turning all your taps off and proceeding to the water meter. Have a quick look and see if it is still indicating that there is pressure in the plumbing line. I propose testing your garden tap and seeing if anything flows out. If water is still in the garden line there should be some flowing into the house. Does your toilet cistern still fill with water after flushing? These are some of the indicators that water is still running in the house  

The only reason I can think of for water to stop flowing in your house is the main switch near your water meter has been turned off or there is a major leak in your plumbing that's diverting the water. Look around for any large puddles in your garden or entrance area. Are there any wet spots on your ceiling? I suggest asking your neighbours if they still have runnings water. If the same condition is present in your neighbours it must be a large water outage and not just your house.

Let me tag our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @Noyade for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing that water has been restored to your house.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

How are you going with the water situation @Newgreenthumb?

It sounds suspiciously like the mains tap hasn't been turned back on again. I can't think of any other reason for there being no water in the house other than the main valve being partly or fully shut. Is the tap handle free-spinning and can you turn it several revolutions to the left and then right again? Although unlikely, the tap valve could have become stuck and even though you're turning the handle it won't open the valve.

Please keep us updated as we'll be keen to hear that you've resolved this situation.

Mitchell

"I have no water coming through the taps at all"

Every tap in the house?

Just the laundry taps?

Both hot and cold water?

I have had something like this - but it was only the hot water taps which turned out to be a faulty one-way valve near the gas hot water heater.

I'm sorry everything is going so wrong for you.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Noyade thanj you. 
yea it’s annoying lol 

Ok all good. Forgot to reply last night @MitchellMc 

nit sure why it wouldn’t release water. I kept trying and it would turn but no water. I have the nozzle / handle that’s round and turns anti clockwise to turn on. I think when turning I pressed down and it did something to the tap to not have water come out. 

All good on the end. Can’t believe  plumbers were busy until next week.

my change my laundry taps and see  this changes anything then I’ll all another one out.

thanks for everyone’s help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newgreenthumb

I'm glad to hear you got it all sorted out. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing that you've sorted out your hammering issue.

If you need assistance with any other D.I.Y projects, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Can’t believe plumbers were busy until next week."

I can easily believe that - even in a regional setting!

Glad ya got it sorted out! 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects