Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shelving to European laundry?

cvh3196
Finding My Feet

How to add shelving to European laundry?

I have a European laundry (a laundry in a cupboard space basically) but it has no shelving at all.

I am interested in buying some shelves to place above the washing machine and just wanted to check what you'd recommend, in terms of wood type etc - I do not want cupboards - just shelving. The width is 106 cm.

I'd like to store towels, and a few laundry detergents etc. 

I noticed a lot of the reviews of the Speclite shelf have reports of them splitting so wondered if you had any other recommendations. 

Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 10.18.07 pm.pngHello team, 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add shelving to European laundry?

Hi @cvh3196 

Thank you for sharing your question about putting shelves in your European laundry. Before I make any recommendations, can you please tell us the size of the shelf you are after? This will allow our members to assess its size and determine what kind of shelf fixings are appropriate. Would it also be possible for you post a picture of the area? 

In regards to the Specrite panels, we often suggest sealing the timber panel with paint or varnish as soon as possible. This protects it from exposure to heavy moisture which causes timber warping. Another possible option is melamine panels, it's the ideal candidate as its surface is covered in melamine which protects it from moisture damage and is easy to cut to size.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @EricL  thanks so much for your reply!

The width of the area is 106 cm and I've popped a picture in below :smile:

Thank you for the tip regarding the Specrite panels I had no idea you had to do this! I think the melamine panels might also be an option due to moisture in the area. 

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 10.18.07 pm.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for the update, @cvh3196 and for posting the photo. 

While waiting for @EricL to respond when he's back on the site later today, let me also tag @DoSimpleBetter for their thoughts. They added Pine shelves for their European laundry and may be able to help. Also tagging @homeinmelbourne, who cleverly turned an old linen cupboard into a European laundry

Can't wait to see how you end up making your laundry more functional. Please do keep us updated with photos.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cvh3196 

Thank you very much for posting that picture of your laundry and telling us the size of the area. I propose using Practa 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Timber Benchtop or similar for your shelves in the laundry area. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what it might look like when installed. I also suggest getting some Everhang 30-40mm Broom Holder - 2 Pack for your mop handles.

Please remember to seal your timber panels on all sides before you install them in your laundry area. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

DoSimpleBetter
Having an Impact

Hey @cvh3196, and thanks for the tag @Akanksha - 

I built some shelves for a very similar space a few years back. 

I used pine utility panels for mine: 

DoSimpleBetter_0-1695798696514.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects