Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust glass shower door - it has dropped

sonialee
Just Starting Out

How to adjust glass shower door - it has dropped

The Mondella frameless shower door has/is slipping. It was installed by plumber 10 months ago. He’s come back to lift/adjust it once already but same problem. You can see how the gasket is exposed.

we are very careful to not push the handle down when using it. Nothing is hung off/over the door.

1. Do we need to remove door and clean all surfaces of gaskets and hinges with isopropyl surface cleaner? Or will isopropyl destroy the friction/hold?

2. or is this just an unfortunate design floor that we need to live with?

Any and all advice needed.

C625C57B-31B9-4401-911F-69186E14DF59.jpeg

DD4CA1A3-4A63-4E9B-BB38-46F9F8548775.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to adjust glass shower door - it has dropped

Hello @sonialee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your glass shower door.

We first need to assess how the hinges are attached to the glass door. Would it be possible for you to take a few photos of the other side of the steel hinge where the screws are located? We also need to see a close up of the side of the hinge in order to see if the rubber insert is still in good condition.

Generally, in order to re-tighten your glass door, you'll need two people to fix it. First, the hinge screws holding the glass are loosened up, it's important that one person is holding the glass door to prevent it from falling over. Inspect the rubber insert between the glass door and the hinge. If the insert has deteriorated it must be replaced. 

Once the hinges are loose, one person lifts the side of the glass door while the other person puts a towel under the glass to raise it off the floor. You then repeat the process on the other side of the glass door. Once you have the glass door at the correct height you re-tighten the screws so that they clamp back onto the rubber washers of the glass door.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sonialee
Just Starting Out

A7A2AE70-34A4-48E0-BF0C-02A143208A3E.jpeg

619D0DAA-161E-4B66-9E2E-053D5C231092.jpeg

When the door sits flush into the groove of the hinge mechanism, it hangs too low; as can be seen in the original photos. It appears to be a design fault OR is it missing a block within the hinge mechanism (groove) to raise the door the necessary few mm? 

Whenever the door is lifted a few mm to clear the floor (and make it level with the fixed panel upper edge), it gradually works its way back down until the glass is resting on the groove in the hinge mechanism.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sonialee

Thank you for posting those extra photos of your glass door. After observing the hinges it looks like the door has slid down from the hinges. This is an indication that either the screws holding the door have come loose or the rubber insert has slipped off.

You'll need to use an Allen key to loosen the screws holding the door. Please make sure to have a towel under the door to prevent it from slamming into your concrete floor. It's best that the glass door is fully supported with rags or towels at the bottom so that it will not move when the screws are taken off. Please make sure that there is another person holding the glass door.

Once the rubber inserts are removed, I suggest washing them in warm soapy water to remove any grease or wax deposits on them. Dry them off with a hair dryer so that they are completely dry. Re-insert the rubber inserts and position the glass door to your preferred height. Slowly tighten the screws until the door is secure. Please do not overtighten the screws or the glass will get damaged and break. 

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your shower door repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Sonialee and Eric.

This fascinates me yet it must be very frustrating for you. I don't own a glass shower screen but I can only guess this door (5mm?) is extremely heavy.

As I understand it (I think) the door is meant to be held in position by four bolts that when tightened compresses the steel plate against a rubber gasket which is in contact with the glass.

Friction holds it in place.

However what must allow this slippage to occur is the bolt diameter, which must be smaller that the glass hole?

If we take the hinges apart what do we see? Hole? Slotted hole?

My thought (probably wrong) - can we increase the bolt diameter with a copper/brass sleeve - for a better fit?

Doodling.Doodling.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects