Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to affix a replacement undermount basin?

martincv
Finding My Feet

How to affix a replacement undermount basin?

Hi

I have removed the broken undermount basin from the vanity unit. Have clean up the surface of old  silicone/adhesives residue under the counter. What adhesive/silicone should I use to glue/fix the new undermount basin?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Replacing undermount basin

Hello @martincv,

A huge welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you on board, and hope you'll find it a great resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas.

Thanks for your question on replacing your broken undermount basin. Resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site tomorrow and will be happy to recommend the best way to fix your new basin. In the meantime, it would be great if you could provide any photos of the basin and your vanity unit to make it easier for us to know what we're dealing with. 

Thanks

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

tempFileForShare_20221130-191756.jpg

 the new basin

20221130_191939.jpg

 vanity top

20221130_192037.jpg

 vanity top looking from under

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martincv

Did the basin have instructions referencing the correct adhesive for the job? Typically, a wet-area silicone would be used or a polyurethane like Sikaflex 11FC. I'd recommend using the Sika product, as it has superior binding and mechanical strength.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thanks for the advice. The basin is on order (yet to arrive). The spec sheet on the manufacturer website does not recommend any adhesive to use. The old adhesive on the original basin appears to be hard with just a little bit yield. Does not feel silicone. Was really tough to clean the stuff off under the countertop. I think I will use the Sikaflex 11FC.

Thanks again

Martin

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martincv

Please keep us in the loop, we look forward to seeing how the basin will be attached. If you run into any other issues, please let us know. 

Eric

Hi Mitchell

Finally job completed. Was struggling with leaking from the bottom seal underneath the basin. In the end had to change the washer and apply silicone sealant to stop the leak.

20221210_160205.jpg

20221210_160241.jpg

 scaffolding to hold basin

20221210_160315.jpg

 marker to help with alignment 

20221216_122213.jpg

20221216_122226.jpg

 extra support with metal hoop and cross wood.

20221216_122234.jpg

 all done. 

Thanks for your advice.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @martincv,

Job well done! @MitchellMc will be thrilled to see your completed project when he returns from leave next week. I hope you continue to find Workshop a great source for advice and inspiration on all your DIY home improvement needs. What project are you looking to tackle next? 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects