Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

ShelleyBean
Growing in Experience

How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

I don't have a dedicated space for a washing machine in my unit, so I would need to hook it up to the kitchen sink as and when I need it. I have been advised that this can be achieved by an adaptor (Like this one) on my kitchen sink tap and the drain pipe also hooked over the kitchen sink.

How do I know what size adaptor will fit my tap? I unscrewed the aerator and measured it. Looks to be around 2.5cm. Engraved on the part is "neoperl Perlator HC PCA 7.0l" I found this manufacturer's website but can't really make head nor tail of it!

Any ideas what product in Bunnings will be suitable for this task? Also, how about the hook to hook the drain pipe over the sink... Do they come with the machine or will I have to purchase that separately?

20200722_130505 (FILEminimizer).jpg20200722_130517 (FILEminimizer).jpg20200722_130626 (FILEminimizer).jpg 

Re: How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for replying. I purchased that and it doesn’t fit on the washing machine hose. So I would need to get a smaller one.  

but my question is: if I assume

piece 1 is the quick fit tap spout, then that goes onto tap. But then what does that snap into? Like with a hose attachment there should be another piece that it locks too shouldn’t there?  

The click-on adaptor is for garden hoses or for trying to cobble together a washing machine hose that you can disconnect @diynovice. Are you looking to remove the hose regularly? If you need to disconnect frequently, check out this discussion by @MinB on Benchtop dishwasher tap connections. Dishwashers and washing machines share a similar connection.

If you want to connect your washing machine hose you'll only be using the threaded position of the adaptor kit which gives you a 15mm threaded section that a hose should screw onto. The next smaller size in threaded fitting from 20mm is 15mm, and that's included in the kit.

Perhaps you might like to show us some images of what you have and the difference in the size of your washing machine threaded fitting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

thank you so much for all your help! I was trying to set it up to be regularly disconnected! So I was doing the wrong thing, so looks like I have the wrong pieces! I will proceed with that other post that you have eluded to.

Again, thank you for all your help!

Keep us updated @diynovice, I'm keen to assist you in resolving this issue.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

I got it all set up and it seems to be working using the products from the other forum page you mentioned.  However I have a question. should I turn off the water inbetween the wash and the rinse? If the water isn't being pulled into the machine but the tap stays on will water keep coming through the hose? or will it automatically stop? I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I noticed when the tap was on, but the washing machine wasn't pulling the water through it seems to be leaking at the faucet, so it seemed like maybe there was too much water pressure with no where to go. 

Thanks in advance! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diynovice

The washing machine has its own shut off valve so there is no need to turn the kitchen tap off when the unit is in operation. If you're still getting a leak, I suggest re-tightening the fittings or adding more plumbers tape to secure the connections. When the washing machine shutoff valve activates, there should be no leaks or the leak should be very slow and almost unnoticeable. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

traclewy
Just Starting Out

Hi,

Being a newbie to this, I have the same question about attaching a washingmachine hose (a moveable washing maching in a unit with no laundry and tiny bathroom) to a flick mixer tap in my kitchen.

The query above came from 2 years ago so I am hoping in that time a very inventive, handy, clever male has come up with something better. 

Is the thread in this discussion still the only way to attach the washing machine hose in my kitchen ?

Cheers

Tracey

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @traclewy

The good news is that there is a new method of attaching your washing machine hose to your basin or kitchen tap. The new fitting is composed of two brass Holman quick-release mechanisms a garden hose and some hose clips. You'll still need to use the Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit to link the hoses together. Have a look at this discussion - Benchtop dishwasher quick-release connection by @jenenev

These are the parts you'll need:

You'll also need a bit of hose from your garden hose. I suggest cutting off at least 100mm so that it has room to bend. If you wish to have a longer hose cut it to your requirement. To assemble the parts, simply place the hose clamps in the middle of the hose and attach the brass barbed connector on each end. Move the clamps into position over the barbed fittings and secure tightly. Attach the brass adapter to your washing machine hose and make sure that it is tightly screwed on to prevent leaks. 

Remove the aerator from your tap and attach the kinetic adapter with the garden hose fitting. Attach your newly assembled adapter to the tap and attach the washing hose to the other end. Slowly turn on the water to make sure that there are no leaks. Double-check your connections and test your washing machine.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your washing machine connected to your tap.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects