Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to best remove a laundry benchtop?

Lee_J
Just Starting Out

How to best remove a laundry benchtop?

First time undertaking a serious renovation - would love some advice. I’m hoping to get the bench top off without damaging tiles or plaster. Clips to cabinets have been removed and grout removed under tiles but it still seems well held in place by silicone to the wall behind. 
any suggestions for an easy way to remove while minimizing any damage? 

Thanks 

DCC1F083-18AD-4CD4-8217-5BC94EFF492E.jpeg

F1EC1C94-0682-4D00-A075-3F38C065C9BD.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to best remove a laundry benchtop?

Hi @Lee_J,

Congratulations on tackling your first renovation project. I'm sure the ever-helpful Workshop community will be more than happy to assist. 

Let me tag a few experienced renovators in @ProjectPete@Mathy@redracer01 and @gippslandhome who might like to share some tips for you.

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we can ensure Workshop is even more useful to you. 

Welcome to the community. We look forward to seeing how you can transform your laundry, and what you tackle next... 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Lee_J and welcome.

Have you checked whether there any fixings from the bench top to the cupboards underneath? If you look underneath, sometimes there’s some bench top joiners. Also, check and see if the cupboards have been attached to the wall at the back - sometimes people do that, especially in a Laundry where the slope of the floor makes it difficult to level cupboards.

Next, is the wall a gyprock wall or a solid wall? If you’re not sure how to tell, tap the wall - if it sounds hollow (drummy), it’s gyprock, if not it’s solid.

Next - without more information about what you actually want to do, the only further wisdom I can offer you, is that you’re likely to cause REPAIRABLE damage when you have a go at the bench top, so don’t be scared, cheers Deb :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lee_J. Hope all is well with you.

Have you made any progress with removing the benchtop? I trust the replies you have received have been helpful but thought I would add some info on removing it without damaging the tiles or plaster.

You mentioned that the clips have been removed holding the benchtop to the cabinet. If it is still attached you may need to carefully run a knife in between them as silicon may have been used to hold it down also. Presuming the benchtop is now not attached to the cabinet, I would try picking up the front edge and gradually lifting it. Lifting the front will start to pull away at the wall, the higher the angle the more it will pull away. I advise this method, as prying it at the back away from the wall will cause damage and the adhesive or silicone is just too strong. It appears you may have already tried this from the photos.

Lifting from the front provides a lever-action force to the rear where it is attached.

Untitled.png

We look forward to hearing about the successful removal of the benchtop. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything further you need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects