Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a wall colour for the bathroom?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to choose a wall colour for the bathroom?

IMG_8681.jpeg

IMG_8683.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

 Good morning Community Friends, I am an absolute beginner at painting ect. Just wanted to share this to get some friendly advice. 

Small bathroom 

I have painted the ceiling and ready now to paint the walls. 
The tiles are very dark as you can see from the photos. 
I got a few sample pots to have a look at some different shades of colours at different times of the day. 

My concern is going to dark and clashing with the dark tiles. 
A friend of mine suggested lexicon quarter. A shade of white / neutral is definitely what I am looking at doing now I have had time to think about it. I am about to head out to get another sample. I would appreciate it if you could take the time to have a look and see what you think please ? Thank you in advance. 

Once my project is finished I’ll share a step by step of what I’ve done 😊

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to choose a wall colour for the bathroom

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg
@KatieC thank you for the chat 🥰

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @mich1972,

I would love to see what Miller Mood looks like on your walls, a nice subtle colour like that can balance out your tiles very nicely and bring a little grey/blue into the bathroom. It would also be good to see what Lexicon quarter looks like near your whiter tiles. I'll also tag some of our paint pros @Alyce_Pham@Renowayoflife@homeinmelbourne, and @Ari to see what they think. 

I cannot wait to see what you choose!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Exciting project, @mich1972! You've got some great choices for paint colours there. 

In case you haven't already, check out this Best Advice article How do you choose the right paint colour? It contains handy tips that may help you with your decision. 

We've also got several guides on painting that you may find useful, including How to choose the right paint for the job by our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL and How to paint like a professional by experienced Workshop member @Peggers.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the final result. Good luck with the project.

Akanksha 

Thanks for the tag @KatieC 

Hi @mich1972, your bathroom project is looking great so far! As far as paint colours go, white is always a fantastic option for bathrooms as they tend to be quite small spaces and white paint can help make the space feel bigger and also gives a clean crisp feel to the space. I have tested out Lexicon quarter myself when choosing wall colours for our home. I personally found Lexicon quarter to be a really bright white and instead opted for Lexicon half. Lexicon half is a really nice white which just throws the tiniest bit of grey. This could work really well as the cool grey tones from the white paint will work well with your dark tiles. 

Are you planning on keeping the white tiles pictured around the bath?

Alyce

And this is why I love the Workshop Community 🤍🤍🤍🤍

I have purchased my paint and I’m ready to paint these walls 😆 

Many thanks to everyone for your help and support xoxo 

Watch this space 

I have applied the first coat and I went with lexicon half. I’m so glad I have gone with the lighter colour as I was so nervous about the darker tiles. Thank you so much for your advice @Alyce_Pham  @Akanksha @KatieC 

The house is 1994 and all original paint and tiles. I am keeping the tiles as they are @Alyce_Pham 

I did do a sample pot of the lexicon quarter and yes I loved it but with the white ceiling I wasn’t sure if it was too much white if you know what I mean. 

IMG_8700.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8708.jpeg

IMG_8694.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

You made a great choice @mich1972! Lexicon half has created a really beautiful balance of colour between the tiles, walls, and the ceiling. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects