Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cure a Merbau benchtop?

dinaandjake
Building a Reputation

How to cure a Merbau benchtop?

We used a merbau panel as the benchtop in our recent DIY laundry reno. We attempted to protect it using linseed oil, and then a couple of coats of cabots benchtop clear. However the benchtop is really not water protected. Every single splash from the sink creates a stain in the benchtop, and the worst thing is if we ever put a slightly damp towel/piece of clothing onto the benchtop, the benchtop will leech brown residue onto the fabric which is impossible to clean out of the fabric (I’ve had to throw so many things out). Unsure what’s gone wrong (is it simply the merbau leaching/bleeding colour?) Is there any way we can stop this i.e. put a thick varnish/laquer of some sort over the top of the wood to properly protect it/and the things we put on top of it? Thanks. 

Jo_Lake
Growing in Experience

Re: How to cure a Merbau benchtop?

Fantastic! Thank you! 

Jo_Lake
Growing in Experience

IMG20230521111232.jpg

  

IMG20230521111236.jpg

Here's how it turned out ..

IMG_20230507_190358.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jo_Lake 

Thank you so much for posting that update on your benchtop. The benchtop finish looks fantastic, did you use the same product for the benchtop on your second picture? 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jo_Lake
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Yes, the same product used throughout. The second picture = the darker colour is due to that portion of benchtop having the oil used on it first (then stripped etc). First pic = only the prep and varnish 👍🏼

Hi @EricL , you seem to be the man in the know and have heard great things!
From what I've read Cabot's New Timber Prep followed by Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish seems to be the way forward.
This there any curating time post prep to final finish?
My application is a workbench so not so much worried about stains and marks but really wont to eliminate the possibility of marking other timbers that make contact with bench.
If you could confirm process and timeline that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mate. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gwclarke 

My apologies for the late reply. After using Cabot's New Timber Prep. My only recommendation is to make sure that the workbench is totally dry. If painted too early the trapped moisture in the benchtop will simply push the clear finish right off the surface.  

My best advice is to paint it inside an enclosed space so that dust and debris will not settle on the surface. Make sure to use a superior brush in order to get a great finish. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects