Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to do a temporary fix on a rotted window frame

FrankieD
Finding My Feet

How to do a temporary fix on a rotted window frame

Hi all, I have asked for the landlord to repair this window for nearly 2 years. They will replace it at some stage but I need to do a temporary patch job for a new sub-tenant this week, as it looks awful as is.

The problem is rot as the window is badly positioned (right in shower area) and gathers water. I know that no temporary fix will solve it long-term, and the end result doesn't have to be perfect.

I would just like a water resistant/proof putty that will bond well enough with the surface to see us through until the frame can be replaced. Preferably white/cream colour... I'm not fussed about painting but am happy to sand it back to improve the end result if needed.

Any advice or suggestions about what to use and how to do would be appreciated as I am not handy! Thank youBathroom window.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to do a temporary fix on a rotted window frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @FrankieD. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about fixing your window.

Although I understand that you are happy with a temporary solution and the results don't need to be perfect, I'd struggle to suggest any putty that would come close to improving the current situation without some preparation work. Putty needs some type of solid material for it to be applied over. In this case, the timber appears to be far too degraded. At the very least, you'd need to dig out any soft timber until you reached something more solid. Then you could begin the process of filling and then sanding to establish the corner again.

If you are going to dig the deteriorated timber out, you could then fill the area with Selleys 230g Plastic Wood Filler Cement. You'll likely need to do several coats to build up the area and allow them to dry in between. You'll then need to paint the filler the same colour as the frame.

The only white timber filler would be Timbermate 250g White Wood Filler, but I'm unsure how long it would last under those conditions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your response Mitchell, I know the quick fix isn't ideal. The replacement of the windowsill has been approved, the owner, propety manager and repair man are just extremely disorganised, and of course there's been COVID. At some point in the coming year it will be done. This is mainly a cosmetic fix as a courtesy to my new housemate. 

I spoke to a Bunnings team member yesterday and they recommended Earl's wood hardener https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-250ml-wood-hardener_p1585306 followed by Earl's Multifll (white) https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-600g-white-multfill-ready-to-use-filler_p0054488 

Multifill seems to be appropriate for indoor/outdoor, so I thought it might stand a good chance of lasting at least a year. 

Do you think this combination would work? Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FrankieD,

The products recommended to you sound like great options. The wood hardener will work well, but I'd still encourage you to dig out any really soft timber before applying it.

Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects