Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure washing machine taps are pointing down?

rita22
Getting Established

How to ensure washing machine taps are pointing down?

Help please!

I recently changed my washing machine taps to match the laundry tub taps and can not get them to point downwards so the washing machine water pipes are not off to the side. I have put extra tape at the back of the pipe so I can turn it tight at the stage the tap is pointing down but water leaks so I need to have them in this position so no water leaks. They are now too tight (can’t turn anymore) and if I put less tape they leak :unhappy:

Any ideas on how to get them straight? Whilst they are functional am a little OCD heehee

I got the taps from Bunnings - very easy to install.

9A63CE0A-BFE9-49E9-967A-BFCECEAF1189.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure washing machine taps are pointing down?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rita22. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about aligning taps.

Aligning taps is a bit of an artform and it typically takes me a couple of goes even after doing it multiple times over the years. Generally, anywhere from three to six rotations of thread tape is enough to seal the tap once it is done up tightly. Given that, it's strange that one or two rotations couldn't be removed from the tap on the right to bring it back 3/4 of a turn and still have it not leak unless you've only got three rotations on it at the moment. If so, I'd bump it up to five, and you'll be more in the ballpark where you can add or subtract rotations to align the taps.

How many rotations of tape do you have on them at the moment? You tap on the left needs around one more rotation of tape to get it to finish facing downwards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rita22
Getting Established

Thanks for the tips…but can you believe I put more tape on anticlockwise (4-5 turns) and like magic I was able to tighten to point down and whilst there was a bit more I could of turned using a spanner, they were tight enough there is no leaking. So the trick is anticlockwise!!!

65B0E65C-6A94-4960-BCB0-5C0C3342BC24.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great that you found a solution, @rita22. Well done! We typically apply thread tape in the same direction as the fitting is tightened as it prevents it from unravelling, but if anti-clockwise resolved your issue that's all that matters.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects