Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fit and support a laundry benchtop?

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

How to fit and support a laundry benchtop?

how to fit and support benchtop above the washing machine and dryer with the tiled wall jutting out

20220617_083842.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fit and support a laundry benchtop?

Hi @kagomechan,

I had a similar situation with my laundry. As the most straightforward option, I opted to cut a laminated panel down and use it for the leg supports. It gives a really neat boxed-in design. I'll add a rendering below to illustrate. However, I went with this method as I couldn't make any permanent changes to the layout. In your case, I'd highly recommend you take this opportunity to change the tub out for an insert sink and create a larger benchtop. With the addition of some cabinetry on the wall and beneath the sink, this area could become highly functional.

I think you'll find once you install the benchtop, you'll want to replace the tub soon after. Given this, it would be worth considering doing it all at once. Check out this neat guide on How to plan a laundry renovation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Bench2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.  The tricky bit with the laundry tub is that it is built in such that it sits beneath the tiled wall and also below the tiled floor. I'm not sure how to fill the gap if I were to pull it out. I thought of just spray painting it to give it a lift as a start

That does make it a little more challenging to remove @kagomechan. I still wouldn't rule out removing the tiles and redoing them once the larger bench is in. The new floor sink cabinet will likely cover any areas on the floor where there are no tiles currently.

Installing the simple bench will make a world of difference by itself. However, I know from personal experience that it's worth considering a slightly more substantial reno.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks again. I'll have a think about it

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects