Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking Mondella semi frameless shower screen?

cg81
Just Starting Out

How to fix a leaking Mondella semi frameless shower screen?

hi we bought mondella 2000 x1200 x 900mm Matte Black semi frameless shower

I need some advice

Please see attached photo. there is gap at the bottom, between shower door and bottom frame. Due to this, when we have a shower, there is water leaking outside the shower

the mondella shower did not come with any sealsIMG-9593.jpgIMG-9587.jpgIMG-9586.jpg

Any advice or tips would be helpful

thanks

Re: How to fix a leaking Mondella semi frameless shower screen?

That's great to hear @Rockatansky, and we appreciate your feedback.

I've been informed that Mondella is now including these seals in all the supplied units.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi

We have had this shower since October last year. We're having issues with the aluminium frame , it fills with water which then seaps water outside of the shower for hours after using it. 

It already leaks so much due to it not coming with seals around all the door edges on the both sides and the bottom. We're now thinking of replacing it with a decent shower screen, as it's just not designed well and is becoming too problematic. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lincoln93. It's great to have you join us.

I haven't received previous feedback on the shower frame filling with water and leaking, so I'd be keen to help you diagnose the issue. Has the screen been sealed to the tiles inside and outside the frame? Typically there should be a bead of sealant that stops water from seeping under the frame. Can you tell where the water is entering the frame? There should be a gasket where the panel enters the frame, which prevents water from getting inside it. 

I'd recommend that you contact spareparts@kineticsourcing.com.au to organise the seals. Once they're in place, it will be easier for us to track down the source of the leak. 

If you do not feel the screen is not fit for purpose, then I'd encourage you to speak with a manager at the store of purchase. There could be an option for swapping it over for another screen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi, I am also suffering from the same issue. Leaking between the shower door and the bottom frame. No seals were included in the box and Bunnings does not sell the correct seal. Can you please private message me to arrange for the correct seals to be sent out? 
Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @danielsan67 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Allow me to reach out to you through PM so that I can provide further assistance.

Eric

Hi MitchellMc, I'm experiencing leaks using this shower screen as well which I believe is water getting inside the frames and escaping outside. Water will  continue to pool outside the screen even hours after the shower is not being used despite continually wiping water away. I'm not referring to the door seal issue here but water getting inside the frames due to poor design. What would you suggest is the best solution to fix because this is rather frustrating? Or is everyone finding they are better off ripping out the shower screen and replacing it with one that doesn't have a design fault? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lcer. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a leaking shower frame.

Without knowing exactly where the water is entering the frame, it would be extremely hard for me to diagnose why the issue is happening or recommend solutions. As mentioned above, I believe there should be a gasket on the edge of the glass panel that compresses when inserted into the frame. For water to enter the frame, it would need to bypass this seal. If the water is entering this area, then running a bead of silicone between the glass panel and the frame could prevent it. 

How is the frame sealed to your wall or floor? I do not doubt your assessment that water could be entering the frame, but it is far more likely that the water is creeping under the frame, pooling and then leaking out the other side for hours later. This is a common issue on all semi-frameless shower screens, as often they are installed onto a floor with no seal. The frame must be sealed to the floor and wall around the perimeter. I think the best starting point is to rule this out, and then we'll know that something is going on with the frame. Can you please check that on the inside of the frame that there has been a bead of silicone added between the floor and the frame? If you can take a picture of it, that would help immensely. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Appreciate your prompt reply @MitchellMc. I had this frame installed a few months ago and it leaked from the very beginning. The installer thought the water was getting under frame through the silicone and took out the frame and fixed the silicone using a larger bead. There is silicone applied to the inside of the shower and the whole perimeter on the outside which seals the frame to the floor. The shower continued to leak and the installer came back and found that water had been getting through the frames and leaking to the outside rather than going under the frame. He siliconed all around the frame and this seemed to have fixed the leaking issue until now. 

With all the reported issues of this frame, I'm at the point of questioning the design of this shower screen and is it expected that silicone has to be applied all around the aluminium frame and glass edges or am I better off ripping the thing out and installing a better designed framed. It's not cheap having to keep calling a trademan in to fix these issues.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's totally understandable, @lcer, and I do apologise for the frustration caused. Apart from another member mentioning a similar issue a couple of weeks back, I haven't had any other feedback on these frames leaking. I would suggest speaking with a manager at your local Bunnings store and discussing the issues and options surrounding the return of the product or swapping it for another variety. You can also reach out to Mondella directly to discuss the issue at spareparts@kineticsourcing.com.au.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc, I will direct contact with Bunnings and Mondella directly to see what best options are 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects