Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking laundry taps

richie
Getting Established

How to fix leaking laundry taps

Hello

i recently moved house and notice a leaking laundry tap body after connecting my new washing machine.  I replaced both taps with kinetic half turn taps from Bunnings which solved the leak from taps and provided perfection connection to washing machine hose

0741CB1C-9B42-45CE-BDD2-10D0563EB5EA.jpeg

911FBE37-E0DF-47F3-AF9D-9281E2B533F7.jpeg

.  However, the next day I noticed there is a small leaking coming from behind the tap/tiles, no leak can be seen but the tiles below cold tap is wet and there’s small puddle on floor. 

Appreciate any advice / suggestions you have.  Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaking laundry taps

Hello @richie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to fix your leaking laundry taps.

Since you've replaced the old taps with new ceramic ones. Our only suspect is the washing machine hose and the interior flat O-ring that's in it. My first suggestion is to put some plumbers tape on the tap and test it overnight. If it fails, I recommend removing the current flat O-ring in the cold hose and replacing it with a Kinetic 12mm and 19mm Nut and Tail Washers - 8 Pack. If it still leaks, then there is something wrong with the hose. The other method is to get a new hose such as a Kinetic 2m Washing Machine And Dishwasher Hose.

However, before purchasing the new hose, if your washing machine is still under warranty, you can claim the hose under warranty. As long as you have the docket and a photo of the leak. You can claim that you've carried out a reasonable repair on the taps. Despite putting on new taps the hose is still leaking.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your washing machine hose fixed and leak-free.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
richie
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for your message and suggestions.  
Just to clarify that there is no leak coming from the hose or new taps, however it seems to be coming from behind the tiles or this metal ring (blue arrow in pic), as the tiles are wet (red box in pic).  It seems to be a small leak as I can’t see any obvious signs of water escaping, just the puddle on floor.  Also the machine and hose are new and I used plumbers tape on both ends of the new taps.

Could there be an issue with the pipes behind the tiles? If so, is there a way to diagnose it?

Many thanks!

Richie

C05346CE-BBC1-4E94-B174-647699CFC1CB.jpeg

7EF0ACA9-1148-4CE2-BAA3-042D16363D80.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @richie

Thank you for the update. There may be a leak where the tap and the inwall pipe are connected. Because it is covered by the flange, it's difficult to know if the tap is tight enough or a small leak is still present. The only way to find out is to remove the tap, remove the flange and re-install the tap and check if there are any leaks. Before attempting this, you can use a different flange to cover the back of the laundry tap. I recommend using a Kinetic 1/2" Chrome BSP Flat Cover Plate as a replacement for the current flange.

Before putting the tap back on I recommend using BOSTON 50ml Liquid Sealant in combination with plumbers tape. This will give you an extra degree of safety when screwing the laundry tap back on. Observe for the next few days. If you still notice a leak, but it is below the tap and in the wall, then it's time to call the plumber as there is damage to the pipework. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the leak fixed.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I have never used that sealant, but it sounds like a good idea. I know that sealing tape is notorious for leaking if not enough is applied, or not wound on the right way and, as I found out the hard way,  if a piece has been allowed to pass in front of the hole, such that it stops the connector seating properly.

richie
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for the great advice, I used a flat cover plate as you mentioned and additional plumbers tape and it fixed the leak.  I think because the old flange was raised it prevented the tap from fully tightening, so the flat cover plate was perfect 👍

cheers

Richie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@richie,

I'm sure @EricL will be delighted to know his advice assisted you.

Many thanks for updating us on your success. Please let us know any time you need assistance with a project around the house or garden or if you have something to share.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @richie 

I'm glad you've fixed the leak in your laundry taps. Just inspect it now and then to make sure that the laundry tap is securely sealed. If you have any other questions or projects you would like to share, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice or information.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects