Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rotten door moulding?

stelz
Making a Splash

How to fix rotten door moulding?

Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a very productive DIY weekend.

I need some help/suggestion on how to fix this rotten door moudling in the bathroom, think due to water damage when we purchased our house.  

Thank you. Door moulding 1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing rotten door moulding

Hi @stelz,

I'd suggest you start by using a chisel or flathead screwdriver to dig out any loose, crumbly or deteriorated timber. Chase the damaged timber until you reach a solid section that you start having issues removing easily. Once you have reached solid timber, spray the area down with Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener. This is a fantastic product that binds and solidifies the remaining timber. Once this product has dried, you can start to fill and reform the area with Builder's Bog. Once the bog has dried, you can sand it flat, prime and paint. Alternatively, you could cut the section of timber out and replace it with an equivalent piece. However, you might need to do some work to get the new piece of timber to fit correctly.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I am doing too many project all at the same time. I will updated once I get started on the door. 

Thank you again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like a plan, @stelz. Too many projects at once is a great way of getting none of them finished.

Please let us know if you need any assistance when you start the job.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  Nailed it. Lol.

tungdang
Growing in Experience

Hi @stelz , have you fixed the issue? I have a similar issue with a jamb near my bathroom door. If you don't mind, could you please share how you fix your issue? Thank you!

@tungdang 

Hi,

Sorry I did not provided any recent updated.  

So as @MitchellMc  suggested, I used the chisel to remove and dig out the deteriorated timber. Then  we clean out the area and match the old section with a new timber door moulding as best as we could. Lucky us, we did not have to do much adjusted to fit the new moulding in.  I used a gap filler to fill in the joint as much as could, the painted .     Much cheaper then removing the whole door frame.  I am happy with the end product does the job.  I hope that helps

The processThe processThe finishing resultThe finishing resultThe finishing resultThe finishing result

tungdang
Growing in Experience

Hi @stelz , wow, the end result is so neat & clean. Thanks a lot for sharing this! This is really what I am looking for to fix the issue. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @stelz

You've definitely "Nailed It" that's an excellent repair job and the paint looks great. My only other tip is to put some wet area silicone in the gap between the floor and the door moulding to prevent water from entering the gap.

Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic repair of the door moulding.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects