Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix these brass fittings?

trentrobbo3
Just Starting Out

How to fix these brass fittings?

E3978CC0-411F-4567-ACA1-461F2E472570.png

  

We had a glazier install glass in our bathroom, he used estillo brushed brass fixings. The next day we noticed the fixings starting to discolour, he told us it was because of the sugar soap he used and it would wash off but nothing has gotten it off so far. Any suggestions please??

454874E7-3F7A-4D42-97ED-27DB6B1719F3.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix these brass fittings?

Hi  @trentrobbo3,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and jump into the discussion.

Let me tag helpful members @Peggers, @Tara86 and @redracer01 to see if they have any suggestions for cleaning products to try on your brass fittings. Generally you are best advised to start with the most gentle approach before proceeding to something stronger. What have you tried so far? 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will also have some helpful suggestions for you when he is back on the site tomorrow. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We look forward to reading more and are confident you will get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful community members as you browse the site and join in the many discussions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @trentrobbo3 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Looking at your pictures I see that there has been a chemical reaction to the brass after the glazier installed your shower fittings. Shall we try some home made solutions first? Get a bottle of ketchup and lather one of the fittings with it. Using a clean cloth rub the ketchup in a circular motion and observe if it will remove the tarnish. Sometimes letting the ketchup sit a few minutes to let the acids work will loosen the tarnish on the brass. Wash off with warm water and see if it worked. Still not clean enough we can proceed to the next home remedy and that is a diy paste :  Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt into one-half cup of vinegar, and add flour until the mixture becomes a paste. Rub into the brass, leave for about 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and buff dry. Please test one of the fittings first and if successful then you may cover the rest of the fittings with the paste. Still not working? Last one is Lemon and baking soda again in to a paste, warning! This has the highest  amount of acid in the mix so be careful and test one part first. Place mixture for a few minutes and rinse with warm water and buff to shine. If successful then you can do the rest. Last option is to buy Brasso and simply make sure that you have a dry clean clothe and test and polish. If you get a funny map like finish on the brass fittings odds are the brass fittings were lacquered and using the sugar soap has damaged the finish, you will need to have this re-lacquered or you will need to keep polishing the brass every time it gets very tarnished. I hope these suggestions help and if you still have trouble please send me a note here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to have you join us @trentrobbo3

I was hoping this was one of our Eśtilo products, as that would allow me to contact our supplier and troubleshoot the issue. Unfortunately, this is not a product found at Bunnings or from our supplier. It would be great to determine if this brass was coated, as I would expect that to be the case with a fixture in a wet area. As @redracer01 has mentioned already, there's obviously been a chemical reaction. However, if the brackets are not clear coated, you would expect to see similar tarnishing fairly quickly just from the water.

I'd suggest contacting the glazier and getting some details of the product manufacturer. They should be able to advise whether using sugar soap on them has caused the issue and what remedies are available to solve the situation. Perhaps the glazier might need to replace them and find an alternative to using sugar soap.

Please let us know how you go and if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects