Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water-damaged ceiling paint?

mattegg25
Just Starting Out

How to fix water-damaged ceiling paint?

20220816_215043.jpg

Hard to see in this photo but our recently painted bathroom ceiling has areas of paint that has been damaged by humidity and condensation forming after showering. Initially we used standard ceiling paint and didn't wait more than a day or two before using the shower (rookie error). I've since painted the ceiling with 3 coats of acrylic paint and will let this dry for a week but I can still see the outline of some of the damaged areas. Any suggestions on how to fix this and stop reoccurence? I've bought another fan too which I'll install directly over the shower area

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix water-damaged ceiling paint?

Hello @mattegg25

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing your water-damaged ceiling.

Watermarks are difficult to remove and must be sanded down. Failing to sand these down will sometimes bleed through the paint. The quick solution to prevent extreme condensation from occurring on the ceiling is good air circulation. If the room is very well sealed even if you have a very strong exhaust fan if air does not enter the room fast enough condensation will still occur. Leave a window slightly open to allow air to come in or modify your door with a wall vent to allow air to come in. 

Since you've already painted 3 coats of paint on your ceiling and some of the damage is still visible, I'm afraid the only way to fix this is to sand the damage down. Unfortunately, putting another coat of paint will not guarantee that the damage will be hidden.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bathroom ceiling repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects