Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to frame an existing bathroom mirror?

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

How to frame an existing bathroom mirror?

Hi 

I've seen a few websites for kits to frame an existing mirror eg https://www.framemymirror.com/ but they all seem US based and don't deliver to Australia. This is the ideal solution to my problem of a large mirror in my bathroom which has edges that have deteriorated. I was going to try and get the mirror off and replace it but this would be much better.

I guess the general idea is to construct a frame and stick it on to the edge of the mirror. Has anyone on here done this? I'm wondering if I should go to a framing place and get them to build it for me or maybe give the lengths cut to fit as the mirror is 140cm wide by 70cm. Any tips or a DIY video that looks my best bet? I've also seen stick on edging which might do the trick but the only samples I've seen online have been pretty poxy!   

Rosemary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to frame an existing bathroom mirror?

Hello @RosemaryK

Thank you for sharing your question about how to frame an existing bathroom Mirror.

Your timing could not be more perfect. We recently had a member post a beautiful timber framing project - How to reinvent a basic mirror by @kimamery. The steps and materials they used in their project are not too far from what you want to achieve. I recommend painting your frame with British Paints 1L Gloss White Paint And Prime Doors Windows And Trim Water Based Paint tinted to your favorite colour. This will protect your frame and prevent it from getting moisture damaged. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the mirror? This will give our members a better idea of what its condition is. This will allow our members to provide you with a comprehensive recommendation on how to frame it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame

Let me tag our experienced member @prettyliving for her recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @RosemaryK 

I made a frame (smaller one) recently using picture frame moulding from Bunnings and it wasn’t too hard to do, was my first attempt at a frame.

There is a video on the Bunnings website that may be helpful to you on how to make a frame for your mirror. 😊
https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/kids-craft/craft/how-to-make-a-diy-picture-frame

Hi @RosemaryK 

I’m following along and would love to see a before and after picture of this project once finished! 
I also have another mirror that needs a new frame. 
Kim

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Hi @kimamery 

I'm afraid I decided to cheat a bit here. I'm getting a frame cut to size in lengths which I will stick on to the mirror. Its more expensive of course but I was able to pick out a nice finish and its still heaps cheaper than buying a new mirror and trying to get the old one off the wall:) . Will show you a before and after when its done.

Rosemary

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects