Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to frost shower glass for privacy?

FDT79
Getting Established

How to frost shower glass for privacy?

Hi, I'm moving from a great bathroom set up [open walk in shower & toilet behind vanity] to a more traditional type with enclosed glass shower. I was wondering how easy it would be to put privacy / 'frosting' effect to the shower door glass in the new bathrooms. Obviously it would be cheaper [I'd think!!] to 'frost' the glass, but if we had to replace the glass doors altogether would this cost a fortune? I live in Cairns now btw.Main bathroom.jpgBathroom.jpg Thanks a lot. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi, looking to frost shower glass for privacy

Hello @FDT79

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing frost film for privacy.

Installing frost film is a fantastic way to create privacy in the shower area. I suggest having a look at this featured project - D.I.Y. tinted windows by @prettyliving. Installing the frost film is straightforward, make sure to follow the steps in sequence and don't be tempted to skip a step. Please remember to install it on the outside of the shower not inside to prevent it from getting damaged by water and steam.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install window film.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your shower covered in frost film.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FDT79
Getting Established

Hi Eric

Thanks again for replying on here, if I preferred to basically treat or change the material of the glass itself, is there an easy way to do that? Or maybe it would be better to replace the shower doors altogether [which I hear can be expensive]. Someone online seemed to be spraying their shower door with...something? Not sure if that would be a more long term option over the film? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FDT79

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have. I totally agree with you, replacing the glass itself will cost you quite a bit versus just modifying the glass to give you that frosted effect. If you're thinking of using a spray, I suggest using Dulux 300g Duramax Gloss Frosted Effect. It's specifically made for frosting glass and providing privacy. Just make sure that the glass is totally dry and clean before applying the frosted effect. But between the spray and film, the film will stay on much longer and will withstand greater abuse.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

FDT79
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, I'll take your advice & look for some film then. It's strange as online videos seem to show it directly adhering onto some detergent solution that's laid on the glass, but I guess this is something chemical that helps it stick, even though the film onto liquid solution looks counter intuitive! But as we know, I know nothing in this space, which is why I'm here harassing you :smile: Thanks for your help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FDT79

I know that it seems counterintuitive, but trust in the process, use the soapy water and you'll be surprised how easy it is to layout window film. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower tinted with frosty film.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Frosting glass is one of the easiest things you'll ever do in a renovation. We placed some window frosting on our front window so our dogs couldn't see people passivly walking by our home, was also great for keeping some heat and sunlight out. 

My best advice is to be generous with the film and allow for some wiggle room before making your final cut. Also you don't need too much conditioner in the bottle (As Eric said, trust in the process, it works), just remember to shake it well before spraying it. If you have a Squeegee, that'll make the majority of sticking it on an easier process, otherwise an old credit card (or a similar sized card) will do fine. 

Remarka6le
FDT79
Getting Established

Thanks for that. This'll be interesting :smile: 

FDT79
Getting Established

Hi EricL,

Just wondering really quickly, if I give the film a try, is it fairly easy to remove, intact, much later on? Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FDT79,

The film will be simple to remove at a later date. Unlike adhesive sticky-backed films, this is a static film, and it suctions itself onto the glass. Once the water is squeegeed out from behind it, it removes the air and locks it onto the glass. To remove it will be as easy as lifting a corner and pulling it off.

We look forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects