Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a toilet seat to sit flat with a bidet attachment?

Steph6
Finding My Feet

How to get a toilet seat to sit flat with a bidet attachment?

This is a bit of an odd question, but I have installed a bidet attacment on a toilet, the bidet works just fine, but the pins that hold the seat and the lid on aren't long enough to connect and hold the seat in place.

The toilet has to use a blind/top fixing kit.  My husband thinks that the bidet attachment should go under the plastic disc and be held on by the central bolt, but I'm not sure if that would work.  The first photo is pretty much what the bolts look like.  The second photo is what the bidet should look like.  The third photo, I have circled the part that the bidet attachment that the "pins" go through to hold it in place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Untitled.pngbidet.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a toilet seat to sit flat with a bidet attachment

Hello @Steph6

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bidet attachment.

I'm afraid in this particular instance your husband is correct. The bidet assembly must go first followed by the plastic disk and then held on by the centre bolt as you've described. The holding pin for the seat is only tall enough to hold the seat itself. Excessive force will break the locking pin on the seat. Please be aware that the added thickness of the bidet assembly will increase the height of the back end of the toilet seat. An unavoidable consequence of adding the bidet. Hence it will render your current seat off balance. 

One option to restore the balance is to add Surface Gard 19 x 19mm Clear Square Rubber Bumper - 12 Pieces at the middle and front of the seat. The rubber bumper comes in bigger sizes so please choose carefully. 

If you have any other questions we can help out with, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Steph6

My apologies, I missed answering one of your queries. If the bolt is not long enough, I suggest bringing it to the hardware department of the store and getting a similar screw but with a longer length. Please make sure it is stainless steel as other types of steel will rust and deteriorate.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bidet working properly.

Eric

Thank you so much!  It'll be great to finally get this all finished at fitted together.

Steph6
Finding My Feet

Re: How to get a toilet seat to sit flat with a bidet attachment?

Finally trying to return to this...  Are there any tips for getting the screws out?  I feel like the expanding piece/something holding the screw in is made of rubber and I can't unscrew them!  It's been driving me crazy!  If anyone has any helpful tips on how to get them out, I would be forever grateful!

TIA

Steph

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a toilet seat to sit flat with a bidet attachment?

Hi @Steph6

I'm sorry to hear the seat did not work out for you. I suggest using a flat head screwdriver to keep the plastic plug from rotating while you're trying to remove the screw. You can also try pinning the plug with the body of the hinge by pressing it down. This will keep the plastic plug from rotating as you try to remove the screw. The last resort is to hold the lip of the plastic plug with a long nose plier. This for sure will keep the plug in place as you remove the screw.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects