Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of mould in bathroom grout?

gracemin
Just Starting Out

How to get rid of mould in bathroom grout?

Good day, I have a bathroom shower with white tiled walls. Although I have cleaned it weekly, unfortunately there are moulds built up in the grouts over time. I have tried using ground pen to cover it. The 2 brands I tried didn’t work as they both didn’t flow and dry out too quickly without making any visible difference. I then watched Bunnings video and tried using 1) BRUSH SCRUBBING HANDLES SABCO++SOFT GRIP GROUT plus 2) CLEANER GROUT LONGLIFE++750ML GROUT according to instructions. It made zero difference. I need help from this community to make these grouts look new again! Any advice or suggestions or tips greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Grace.

IMG_7854.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get rid of mould in bathroom grout?

Hi @gracemin,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you as a member of our growing community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you. In the meantime, can you please tell us what methods you have tried to remove the mould as that is the first step before looking at ways to refresh your grout. As per the advice shared by Mitchell in the guide How do you clean grout? most people use simple bleach.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gracemin
Just Starting Out

Thank you Jason for the warm welcome and quick response. I sprayed Long Life 750ml Grout Cleaner

into my wall tile grout. Then used a Sabco grout brush to remove the mould. Nothing came out at all. I tested a few times and even tried to leave the liquid for some minutes. 

Previously I also tried Dulux 7ml renovation range grout pen

directly over the moulded grout section. I found the white ink from pen does not flow out despite trying various angles. Even though the ink covered some sections, it is ineffective and seemed to fade after a few days. I need a better solution from Bunnings community please!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gracemin 

Thank you for sharing your question about removing mould in your bathroom grout. I see that you've made several in depth attempts to clean the grout surface. In situations like these where the mould has imbedded itself too deeply in the grout, I'm afraid I can only suggest that the old grout be removed and replaced with new grout.

To remove the grout, I recommend using a multi tool in combination with the Diablo 70mm Multi Function Tool Ultimate Grout And Mortar Blade. This will make short work of the old grout and allow you to install new grout in your bathroom.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to regrout bathroom shower tile? by @RB

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects