Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get wall flange to seal?

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

How to get wall flange to seal?

Help!

I've bought some new taps for our shower. The spindles were too short so I bought some ceramic disk spindle extenders. It doesn't leak but I'm stumped as how these flanges are supposed to fit. 

Any help is appreciated!

20220604_195603.jpg

20220604_195406.jpg

20220604_195508.jpg

20220604_195553.jpg

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to get wall flange to seal

Update.

Bunnings service team got back to me letting me know that the flange extender for this model had been discontinued. 

Decision is to just silicone the flange to the wall and fill the gap rather than trying to make the rubber look good behind the flange. 

I just want to give a big shout out to @MitchellMc & @EricL . I know you both put in some serious time to try and nut out a solution with me and you are AMAZING. Can't thank you both enough. 

Just figured out how to tag someone so if I can figure out how to do a before and after collage of the bathroom Reno I will.

Thanks again guys!

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Update:

I've siliconed the flanges to the wall (to stop them spinning or moving forward) and placed some silicone in the gap. Masking tape wouldn't hold the flange against the tiles while it cured so I used gaffa tape. 

I am concerned that the tape will stop the silicone from curing (especially where there's grout and a slight difference in tile depth) but it won't do any damage. I'll give it 24 hours, gently pull it off and see. 

20220610_205505.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil

Thank you so much for the update. I totally agree that you should take the gaffa tape off slowly to avoid damaging the seal. Most silicones are air-activated so even just a little exposure will start the curing process.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the final look of your shower taps once the silicone has cured.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aneil
Cultivating a Following

16551960480724461279844852436884.jpg

 Update: Silicone has done its job. Flange no longer moves forward and it's concealed the gap nicely. Could finish it with a nice bead around each but I'm sorta over it. 

IMG_0626.jpg

 Before

20220608_175048.jpg

20220418_092500.jpg

20220419_164913.jpg

 During

20220527_153553.jpg

 After

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

1655196716219363713053493769133.jpg

 Almost finished. Just waiting on a mirrored shaving cabinet to cover the majority of the window. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aneil

What an amazing transformation. Thank you very much for sharing those photos of your bathroom renovation. The tapware came out very nice and the silicone sealant is very well hidden. The re-tiling of the shower area has made the entire bathroom look so much bigger. Plus the large tiles really give it such a modern look. 

Again, thank you for sharing your bathroom renovation project.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aneil
Cultivating a Following

@EricL I've still got plenty to do around this joint and enjoyed problem solving this with you. Thanks again for your advice and your ear :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects